Although the Islamic State caliphate appears to be losing its power, many of the militants are blending back into the Sunni populations they came from, possibly waiting for a new opportunity to attack.
At least 138 people were killed and 109 were wounded:
Militants beheaded 28 people from Nimrod and Salamiya for collaborating with security forces
At least 30 people were wounded during a shelling attack on Juhalh. Some of the casualties may have died.
Strikes on Arkaba left 28 militants dead.
In Qayara, strikes killed 20 militants.
Fourteen militants were killed during operations in Khalidiya.
An airstrike on Shalalat killed 11 militants and wounded seven more.
Five militants were killed in a strike on Msrih.
An explosion killed four militants in Shirqat.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018
- Two Killed, 33 Injured in Continuing Protests in Southern Iraq – July 14th, 2018
- Protests Spread Through Southern Provinces; 7 Killed, 57 Wounded in Iraq – July 13th, 2018
- Oil Field Protests Escalate; 13 Killed in Iraq – July 12th, 2018
- Large ISIS Convoy Crosses over from Syria; 27 Killed in Iraq – July 11th, 2018