Several Shi’ite leaders decried the deployment of additional United States troops to Iraq. Cleric Muqtada al-Sadr went as far as to declare the soldiers “targets” for Iraqis should troops participate in the Mosul operation. Others called the soldiers “occupiers” or merely “unnecessary”.
At least 133 people were killed, and nine were wounded:
At the Alas oil fields, seven security members and seven militants were killed in clashes.
Fighting in Doulab left 73 militants dead.
Security forces killed 10 militants in Halawat and Hawija.
Five militants were killed in Rawa, including a mufti.
Shelling left five fighters dead in Ramadi.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- UN Probes Right Abuses in Restive Tuz Khormato; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 12th, 2017
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017
- Victory Parade in Green Zone; Seven Injured Across Iraq – December 10th, 2017
- Scattered Attacks Leave 51 Killed Across Iraq – December 9th, 2017
- Christians Again Displaced; 13 Killed in Iraq – December 8th, 2017