Several Shi’ite leaders decried the deployment of additional United States troops to Iraq. Cleric Muqtada al-Sadr went as far as to declare the soldiers “targets” for Iraqis should troops participate in the Mosul operation. Others called the soldiers “occupiers” or merely “unnecessary”.
At least 133 people were killed, and nine were wounded:
At the Alas oil fields, seven security members and seven militants were killed in clashes.
Fighting in Doulab left 73 militants dead.
Security forces killed 10 militants in Halawat and Hawija.
Five militants were killed in Rawa, including a mufti.
Shelling left five fighters dead in Ramadi.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Amnesty Accuses Baghdad of Attacking Protesters; 4 Killed, 46 Wounded in Iraq – July 20th, 2018
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018