The Iraqi Ministry of Immigration and Displacement released new figures on the number of internally displaced civilians in Iraq. About 3.6 million people are currently displaced from their homes. However, 600,000 former refugees have been able to return home, so far.
At a press conference on Sunday, Anbar Governor Suhaib Al-Rawi said 49 civilians were killed and 643 are missing after reaching Shi’ite militias forces near Fallujah. At least four security personnel were arrested after video surfaced of them abusing civilians. The militias say they have been screening male refugees for ties to the Islamic State militants. They deny any abuse. Police forces in Anbar say they have arrested about 500 militants who were trying to escape among the refugees. At least 7,000 refugees have streamed through the al-Salam Junction route since Saturday.
At least 160 were killed and 16 more were wounded:
A sniper in Tarmiya killed one soldier and wounded two more at a checkpoint.
An army officer was shot dead in Muqdadiya.
Security forces killed eight militants in Falahat.
In Fallujah, six suicide bombers were killed.
Heavy fighting was reported in Jeraishi where at least four suicide bombers were killed.
Security forces killed a militant in Waqaf.
Near Iskandariya hospital, a militant was killed while trying to plant a bomb.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Over 2,200 Bodies Exhumed in Mosul Region; Four Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2018
- Iraq Executes Six Convicts; 14 Others Killed in Attacks – October 17th, 2018
- ISIS Commander Blamed for Iran Attack among 18 Killed in Iraq – October 16th, 2018
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018