Security forces opened a relatively safe escape route out of southwest Fallujah. About 4,000 people are estimated to have used the al-Salam (Peace) Junction route since it was secured on Saturday. Reaching the meeting point, however, is dangerous. Many civilians have been killed trying to escape the Islamic State held city, even today. If civilians are able to flee, this could hasten the recapture of the city by security forces.
At least 149 were killed and six more were wounded:
In Fallujah, eighteen people were shot dead while attempting to reach the al-Salam junction. Three children drowned in the Euphrates while attempting to swim across to freedom. Militants executed 20 of their own for deserting the battles.
The bodies of 20 security personnel believed killed in the Speicher Massacre were found in a mass grave near Tikrit.
In Baghdad, a bomb killed one person and wounded six more.
In a video, militants executed two people at an unknown location. One of the executioners is said to have killed his older brother.
In nearby al-Haj, coalition strikes killed 20 militants. Security forces hope to liberate this village soon.
In Qayara, an airstrike killed 12 militants.
Ten militants were killed in a strike on Haditha.
Strikes killed nine militants, including a wali, in Baaj.
Five militants were killed in an airstrike on Falahat.
Airstrikes on Hararat killed three militants.
In Jumhouriyah, security forces killed two militants.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- ISIS Commander Blamed for Iran Attack among 18 Killed in Iraq – October 16th, 2018
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018
- Mass Grave Gives up 78 Victims; 11 Recently Killed in Iraq – October 13th, 2018
- 30 Bodies in Mass Grave near Mosul; Two Killed in Iraq – October 11th, 2018