Militants blew up the 3,000-year-old Temple of Nabu at the ruins of the ancient Assyrian city of Nimrod. Satellite imagery confirmed extensive damage.
At least 111 were killed and 101 more were wounded:
Seven civilians and five security members were killed, when a suicide bomber attacked an army checkpoint in Taji. Another 32 people were wounded.
In Iskandariya, gunmen wounded a policeman.
Security forces in Baiji killed 21 militants.
Air strikes left 20 militants dead in Qayara.
Seventeen militants were killed in strikes around Nasr.
In Fallujah, at least a dozen militants were killed.
A strike on Baaj left seven militants dead.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017
- Victory Parade in Green Zone; Seven Injured Across Iraq – December 10th, 2017
- Scattered Attacks Leave 51 Killed Across Iraq – December 9th, 2017
- Christians Again Displaced; 13 Killed in Iraq – December 8th, 2017
- Clashes Reported in Kirkuk; 31 Killed Across Iraq – December 7th, 2017