Fighting broke out in Parliament on Wednesday as lawmakers attempted to resume yesterday’s postponed session, leading Speaker Salim al-Jibouri to ask President Muhammad Fuad Masum to dissolve parliament. Yesterday, lawmakers postponed approving a new cabinet that could help in the fight against corruption. In response to the unwillingness of powerful blocs to allow for change, street protests and rallies took place in Baghdad, Basra, and elsewhere.
Several Shi’ite militia members were captured during the failed Bashir operation. Witnesses say that some of them were paraded through the streets of Hawija on Wednesday. Militants also detained 33 people in Hawija for trying to escape.
About 100 people escaped Islamic State territory in Albu Faraj and sought safety from Peshmerga forces in Makhmour.
At least 36 people were killed and 11 were wounded:
Dozens of civilians were killed or wounded during shelling in Falluja.
In Baghdad, one person was killed and injuring five more at a produce market.
Six militiamen were wounded during an attack on Nasr. The battle began with a car bombing, but subsequent fighting last over an hour.
In Sajariya, a militia officer was killed as he attempted to dismantle a bomb.
In Hit, 33 militants were killed as troops advanced through al-Jamiya al-Thaniya neighborhood.
Security forces killed a militant in Shalgham al-Nada.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018