Sectarian squabbles were cited among the reasons that the Nasr offensive has been postponed.
In an effort to secure support, a Christian officer was made commander of the Shi’ite Hashd al-Shaabi militia in Nineveh province.
Turkish jets bombed suspected Kurdistan Workers Party (P.K.K.) targets in the Qandil Mountains.
The Iranian and U.S. governments are putting pressure on allies to ensure that Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi remains in office during his government reform campaign.
At least 200 people were killed and 20 were wounded:
A bomb at a Mahmoudiya market left two dead and seven wounded.
A failed attack left 100 militants dead near Garma.
Security forces killed 40 militants in Baghdadi.
In Saniya, 25 militants were killed.
Sixteen militants were killed in Hit.
In the Makhoul Mountains, 12 militants were killed.
A suicide bomber was killed near Bashir.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018
- Two Killed, 33 Injured in Continuing Protests in Southern Iraq – July 14th, 2018