A Turkish soldier was killed and another was wounded in a rocket attack at Gedu base near Ba’Shiqah. The rockets were fired during clashes between Islamic State militants and Kurdish Peshmerga members. Turkey has been ordered to remove its soldiers from northern Iraq but has refused to do so, citing security concerns. Iraq has been unable to force them to comply, because the military cannot redeploy fighters from elsewhere to deal with the Turks.
The head of the United Nations, Ban Ki-moon, traveled to Iraq where he urged politicians to back Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi’s reform plan as part of the goal for national reconciliation.
At least 181 were killed and 89 were wounded:
At least 10 suicide bombers attacked the Ain al-Asad base near Baghdadi, killing three Iraqi soldiers and wounding four more. A separate source revealed that 15 more soldiers were killed. Hundreds of Coalition advisers, including U.S. personnel, are housed at the base.
Fighting in Nasser village has left seven security personnel dead and 40 wounded since Thursday.
A bomb killed three Peshmerga and wounded two more in Jalawla.
Two Iraqi commanders were killed in Makhmour.
A bomb killed one person and wounded eight more in Abu Ghraib.
In Baghdad, a blast killed one civilian and wounded three more.
Gunmen wounded a policeman in Mussayab.
At the Ajil oil field, fighting left one federal policeman and 30 militants dead.
Strikes killed 17 militants near Baaj.
Seven militants were killed and 11 were wounded during strikes on Osajh.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Police Brigadier General Among 22 Killed in Iraq – May 26th, 2018
- Third Bombing Against Sadr Bloc Offices; 40 Killed, 19 Bodies Found in Iraq – May 25th, 2018
- Scattered Attacks Continue in Kirkuk, Diyala; 27 Killed in Iraq – May 24th, 2018
- Suicide Bomber Strikes Baghdad; 16 Killed in Iraq – May 23rd, 2018
- 1,000 Bodies Recovered in Mosul; Two Turks Among 15 Killed in Iraq – May 22nd, 2018