Thousands participated in Shi’ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr’s Friday sit-in. The demonstrators forced their way through barricades and even cut barbed wire to reach the walls of the Green Zone. The sit-in is expected to last several days. However, some of those calling for change are unhappy that the cleric co-opted the original reform movement.
At least 144 were killed and ten were wounded:
A six-month-old child died on Thursday from the effects of last week’s chemical attack on Taza.
A bomb in Zaghniya wounded two people, one of them a militiaman.
In Falluja, 50 militants were killed.
Security forces killed 18 militants in Garma.
Nineteen militants were killed in a strike on Hawija.
Dozens of militants were killed in Hit.
In Kubeisa, several militants were killed, including a Daesh prince.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018
- Two Killed, 33 Injured in Continuing Protests in Southern Iraq – July 14th, 2018