48 Killed in Iraq, Including Chemical Bomb Victims
Iraqi forces are launching an operation that will clear Islamic State forces from areas between Kirkuk, Baiji, and Shirqat. The operation is a necessary preparation to attacking Mosul.
Militants kidnapped 25 Turkmen children to use as suicide bombers in upcoming battles.
At least 48 were killed and 17 were wounded:
Five Peshmerga were executed in Tal Keif after capture.
In Abu Ghraib, two people were killed and seven were wounded during a bombing.
One person was killed and five were wounded in a bombing in Baghdad.
A bombing in Latifiya killed one person and wounded two more.
Two more people have died from the effects of chemical attacks on Taza in recent days. Several victims are in critical condition.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- ISIS Attacks Border Checkpoint; 117 Killed in Iraq – February 24th, 2017
- Mosul Airport, Army Base Captured; 83 Killed in Iraq – February 23rd, 2017
- U.S. Forces Shot at in Mosul; 130 Killed in Iraq – February 22nd, 2017
- Civilians Flee Renewed Fighting in Mosul; 155 Killed in Iraq – February 21st, 2017
- Non-combat Death of U.S. Servicemember; 144 Others Killed in Iraq – February 20th, 2017