Residents are fleeing the city of Hit ahead of expected fighting. Islamic State militants had disappeared from the city over the weekend, but others apparently came in to replace them. After abandoning Rutba, Daesh returned a day later.
Nineveh Operations Commander Major General Najm al-Jubbouri believes Daesh is reorganizing its forces in Mosul as well. Also, leaders reportedly have left government buildings and are hiding out in residential areas.
U.S. State Department Spokesman John Kirby said that the militants are now recruiting child soldiers to fill in for a loss in adult members.
In 2015, Iraq imported $7.3 billion worth of weapons and ammunition. Peshmerga forces say that none of it was shared with the Kurds.
At least 91 were killed and 44 were wounded or sickened. Also, 45 PKK were killed:
Turkish airstrikes left 45 P.K.K. guerillas dead in northern Iraq. The Kurdistan Workers Party (P.K.K.) has bases in northern Iraq, near the Turkish border.
A chemical attack on Peshmerga troops in Gwer left nine dead and 17 afflicted.
Airstrikes on Bashir, Shirqat, and Sinjar left sixty militants dead.
In Muqdadiya, security forces killed nine militants and wounded two more.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018
- Mass Grave Gives up 78 Victims; 11 Recently Killed in Iraq – October 13th, 2018
- 30 Bodies in Mass Grave near Mosul; Two Killed in Iraq – October 11th, 2018
- ISIS Attack on Oil Field; 15 Killed in Iraq – October 10th, 2018
- Security Forces Among 13 Killed in Iraq – October 9th, 2018