Baghdad is now considering compulsory military service.
Rivalries between militias may be delaying the launch of the battle to retake Mosul. The Kurds insist that they have a right to be in the fight, but Baghdad is afraid they will use the operation to retake territory that was traditionally Kurdish. Shi’ite militia groups want in on the action too, but their involvement may trigger sectarian clashes.
At least 92 were killed and 12 were wounded:
Twelve policemen were executed in Qayara.
A bomb near an Abu Ghraib market killed two people and wounded 10 more.
Three people were shot dead during an attack in Amara.
In Adhaim, a roadside bomb killed a police officer and his bodyguard.
Shelling wounded a civilian in Rashid.
Fifty militants were killed in an airstrike in Hawija.
In Albu Obeid, airstrikes killed 10 militants.
Security personnel killed eight militants and wounded one more in Albu Shejil.
Airstrikes on Tal Afar killed a militant official and four companions.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Hawija Displaced Found Dead; 200 Killed in Iraq – June 25th, 2017
- Civilians Flee Mosul War Zone; 59 Killed in Iraq – June 24th, 2017
- Many Casualties in Mosul Attacks; 151 Killed in Iraq – June 23rd, 2017
- Teenagers Blown-up by Old Landmine; 46 Killed in Iraq – June 22nd, 2017
- Great Mosque Destroyed in Mosul; 91 Killed in Iraq – June 21st, 2017