Baghdad is now considering compulsory military service.
Rivalries between militias may be delaying the launch of the battle to retake Mosul. The Kurds insist that they have a right to be in the fight, but Baghdad is afraid they will use the operation to retake territory that was traditionally Kurdish. Shi’ite militia groups want in on the action too, but their involvement may trigger sectarian clashes.
At least 92 were killed and 12 were wounded:
Twelve policemen were executed in Qayara.
A bomb near an Abu Ghraib market killed two people and wounded 10 more.
Three people were shot dead during an attack in Amara.
In Adhaim, a roadside bomb killed a police officer and his bodyguard.
Shelling wounded a civilian in Rashid.
Fifty militants were killed in an airstrike in Hawija.
In Albu Obeid, airstrikes killed 10 militants.
Security personnel killed eight militants and wounded one more in Albu Shejil.
Airstrikes on Tal Afar killed a militant official and four companions.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Kurd Election Official Assassinated; 10 Killed in Iraq – April 25th, 2018
- VP of Iraqi Olympic Committee Kidnapped; 13 Killed in Iraq – April 24th, 2018
- ISIS Threatens Polling Stations; Four Killed in Iraq – April 23rd, 2018
- Iraqi Forces Kill 40 Militants in and Near Syria; 20 Found in Mass Grave in Mosul – April 22nd, 2018
- 60 Militants Found in Mosul Grave; 20 Killed in Iraq – April 21st, 2018