Updated at 11:50 p.m., March 7, 2016
On Sunday, a loose coalition of Shi’ite blocs in parliament known as the National Alliance issued a statement in support of Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi’s plans to overhaul the government. The N.A. holds the majority of seats in parliament and could help Abadi put his plans into action. So far, Abadi has been too weak to make good on his promises to end corruption.
M.P. Ashwaq Jaf has called on both Baghdad and Arbil to better supervise the recovery of Yazidi bodies from mass graves. Currently, the bodies are being removed and reburied without proper data collection, including D.N.A. tests. Separately, security forces rescued 30 Yazidis.
Former U.S. Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad has released a book in which he claims that U.S. officials conferred with Iran before the invasion of Iraq.
At least 123 were killed and 113 were wounded:
Clashes between Kurdistan Workers Party (P.K.K.) guerillas and Islamic State militants left five guerillas and 22 militants dead near Sinjar.
A sticky bomb killed a civilian in Abu Ghraib.
Near Baquba, a militiaman was killed in a drive-by shooting.
Over a dozen militants were killed in Zammar.
Eight militants were killed in fighting in Gwer.
Security forces in Albu Shejil killed four militants and wounded nine more.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017
- Victory Parade in Green Zone; Seven Injured Across Iraq – December 10th, 2017
- Scattered Attacks Leave 51 Killed Across Iraq – December 9th, 2017
- Christians Again Displaced; 13 Killed in Iraq – December 8th, 2017
- Clashes Reported in Kirkuk; 31 Killed Across Iraq – December 7th, 2017