ISIS Attacks Funeral; 131 Killed in Iraq
U.S. Defense Secretary Ashton Carter told reporters on Monday that the Pentagon is working on proposals to expand the U.S. role in Iraq ahead of the Mosul assault.
At least 131 were killed and 67 were wounded:
A suicide bomber attacked a funeral in Muqdadiya, killing 40 and wounded 58 more. Several Shi’ite militiamen were in attendance, including six commanders who were killed. The police chief was wounded trying to defend the jail from militiamen who were on the rampage. There is a concern that this bombing could set off revenge attacks against Sunni civilians.
The number of fatalities in Sunday’s bombing in Sadr City rose by seven to 78 dead.
In Hawija, three young men were executed for writing anti-militant slogans.
In Baghdad, two civilians were shot dead.
A bomb killed one person and wounded eight more in Taji.
A shopkeeper was gunned down in Kirkuk.
Seven militants were killed by security forces in Haqlaniya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Baghdad Claims Progress in Falluja; 164 Killed Across Iraq – May 23rd, 2016
- Falluja Operation Begins; 219 Killed in Iraq – May 22nd, 2016
- Protest Casualties Higher; 65 Killed, 506 Wounded in Iraq – May 21st, 2016
- 21 Killed, 124 Wounded in Iraq; Baghdad Protests Turn Deadly – May 20th, 2016
- 53 Killed in Iraq; Security Forces Draw Closer to Jordanian Border – May 19th, 2016