ISIS Attacks Funeral; 131 Killed in Iraq
U.S. Defense Secretary Ashton Carter told reporters on Monday that the Pentagon is working on proposals to expand the U.S. role in Iraq ahead of the Mosul assault.
At least 131 were killed and 67 were wounded:
A suicide bomber attacked a funeral in Muqdadiya, killing 40 and wounded 58 more. Several Shi’ite militiamen were in attendance, including six commanders who were killed. The police chief was wounded trying to defend the jail from militiamen who were on the rampage. There is a concern that this bombing could set off revenge attacks against Sunni civilians.
The number of fatalities in Sunday’s bombing in Sadr City rose by seven to 78 dead.
In Hawija, three young men were executed for writing anti-militant slogans.
In Baghdad, two civilians were shot dead.
A bomb killed one person and wounded eight more in Taji.
A shopkeeper was gunned down in Kirkuk.
Seven militants were killed by security forces in Haqlaniya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Attacks on Mosul Civilians Continue; 115 Killed in Iraq – December 4th, 2016
- Suicide Bomber Targets Mosul Civilians; 91 Killed Across Iraq – December 3rd, 2016
- 192 Killed in Iraq; Explosion at ISIS Storage Facility Kills Dozens – December 1st, 2016
- 5,719 Killed in Iraq during November – November 30th, 2016
- Army Opens New Front near Hawija; 138 Killed in Iraq – November 29th, 2016