ISIS Attacks Funeral; 131 Killed in Iraq
U.S. Defense Secretary Ashton Carter told reporters on Monday that the Pentagon is working on proposals to expand the U.S. role in Iraq ahead of the Mosul assault.
At least 131 were killed and 67 were wounded:
A suicide bomber attacked a funeral in Muqdadiya, killing 40 and wounded 58 more. Several Shi’ite militiamen were in attendance, including six commanders who were killed. The police chief was wounded trying to defend the jail from militiamen who were on the rampage. There is a concern that this bombing could set off revenge attacks against Sunni civilians.
The number of fatalities in Sunday’s bombing in Sadr City rose by seven to 78 dead.
In Hawija, three young men were executed for writing anti-militant slogans.
In Baghdad, two civilians were shot dead.
A bomb killed one person and wounded eight more in Taji.
A shopkeeper was gunned down in Kirkuk.
Seven militants were killed by security forces in Haqlaniya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mass Execution Filmed; 131 Killed in Iraq – September 28th, 2016
- Bombers Kill, Wound Scores in Baghdad; 83 Killed Across Iraq – September 27th, 2016
- Fighting Ramps up in Anbar province; 112 Killed in Iraq – September 26th, 2016
- Mass Executions in Mosul; 145 Killed in Iraq – September 25th, 2016
- Attack on Security Chiefs near Tikrit; 87 Killed in Iraq – September 24th, 2016