Attacks Bookend Baghdad; 202 Killed, 149 Wounded in Iraq
At least 202 were killed and 149 were wounded as the Islamic State militants staged attacks on opposite sides of Baghdad:
A dawn triple suicide attack on a base in Heitaween, near Abu Ghraib, left at least 17 security personnel and 20 militants dead. At least 30 security members were wounded. A blast unrelated to the fighting wounded five civilians including children.
In Mahmudiya, a bomb killed two people and wounded eight more.
Militants killed two security personnel and wounded six more at a checkpoint in Zaiden.
A Turkmen was executed in Tal Afar. He was affiliated with the Iraqi Turkmen Front.
Militants executed 35 of their own at Ghazlani Camp.
Security forces killed 14 militants at Sakrab and Silo Khan Dari.
Security forces in the Hamrin Mountains killed 13 militants.
In Hit, airstrikes left 11 militants dead.
Nine militants were killed during an attack on Hamdaniya.
In Albu Duaij, security forces killed a militant leader.
Two militants were killed in Ba’Shiqah.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 60 Killed in Iraq, Including a U.S. Servicemember – April 29th, 2017
- Bomb Targets Baghdad Police Station; 221 Killed in Iraq – April 28th, 2017
- Fresh Civilian Airstrike Deaths; 151 Killed in Iraq – April 27th, 2017
- New Zealand and Australia Deploying More Troops; 134 Killed in Iraq – April 26th, 2017
- Turkish Friendly Fire Kills Kurdish Troops; 86 Killed in Iraq – April 25th, 2017