Attacks Bookend Baghdad; 202 Killed, 149 Wounded in Iraq
At least 202 were killed and 149 were wounded as the Islamic State militants staged attacks on opposite sides of Baghdad:
A dawn triple suicide attack on a base in Heitaween, near Abu Ghraib, left at least 17 security personnel and 20 militants dead. At least 30 security members were wounded. A blast unrelated to the fighting wounded five civilians including children.
In Mahmudiya, a bomb killed two people and wounded eight more.
Militants killed two security personnel and wounded six more at a checkpoint in Zaiden.
A Turkmen was executed in Tal Afar. He was affiliated with the Iraqi Turkmen Front.
Militants executed 35 of their own at Ghazlani Camp.
Security forces killed 14 militants at Sakrab and Silo Khan Dari.
Security forces in the Hamrin Mountains killed 13 militants.
In Hit, airstrikes left 11 militants dead.
Nine militants were killed during an attack on Hamdaniya.
In Albu Duaij, security forces killed a militant leader.
Two militants were killed in Ba’Shiqah.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Army Colonel Among 72 Killed in Iraq – January 22nd, 2017
- More Camp Speicher Victims Found; 88 Killed in Iraq – January 21st, 2017
- Executions in Kirkuk; 102 Killed in Iraq – January 20th, 2017
- Militants Execute Civilians in Mosul; 101 Killed Across Iraq – January 19th, 2017
- Operations Wrapping up in Eastern Mosul; 131 Killed in Iraq – January 18th, 2017