Attacks Bookend Baghdad; 202 Killed, 149 Wounded in Iraq
At least 202 were killed and 149 were wounded as the Islamic State militants staged attacks on opposite sides of Baghdad:
A dawn triple suicide attack on a base in Heitaween, near Abu Ghraib, left at least 17 security personnel and 20 militants dead. At least 30 security members were wounded. A blast unrelated to the fighting wounded five civilians including children.
In Mahmudiya, a bomb killed two people and wounded eight more.
Militants killed two security personnel and wounded six more at a checkpoint in Zaiden.
A Turkmen was executed in Tal Afar. He was affiliated with the Iraqi Turkmen Front.
Militants executed 35 of their own at Ghazlani Camp.
Security forces killed 14 militants at Sakrab and Silo Khan Dari.
Security forces in the Hamrin Mountains killed 13 militants.
In Hit, airstrikes left 11 militants dead.
Nine militants were killed during an attack on Hamdaniya.
In Albu Duaij, security forces killed a militant leader.
Two militants were killed in Ba’Shiqah.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Baghdad Claims Progress in Falluja; 164 Killed Across Iraq – May 23rd, 2016
- Falluja Operation Begins; 219 Killed in Iraq – May 22nd, 2016
- Protest Casualties Higher; 65 Killed, 506 Wounded in Iraq – May 21st, 2016
- 21 Killed, 124 Wounded in Iraq; Baghdad Protests Turn Deadly – May 20th, 2016
- 53 Killed in Iraq; Security Forces Draw Closer to Jordanian Border – May 19th, 2016