Kurdish Special Forces rescued a Swedish teenager from Islamic State militants. The 16-year-old girl says that she was duped into traveling to Syria, then Iraq, by a boyfriend who had been radicalized. At some point, she was able to call her family and tell them she wanted to come home. She was located near Mosul.
Residents report the sudden disappearance of Daesh militants from the eastern areas of Mosul. It is unclear if the nearby deployment of security forces in possible preparation for an assault encouraged the militants to flee.
At least 64 were killed and 17 were wounded:
A dozen people were executed for attempting to escape Falluja.
A blast in Taji killed one soldier and wounded five more.
A civilian was gunned down in Kirkuk.
In the greater Mosul region, 12 militants were killed in separate strikes.
Nine suicide bombers were killed in Garma.
Clashes in Hit left four militants dead.
In Heitween, three militants were killed.
Three militants were killed in Hamoud Aziz.
In Albu Risha dozens of militants were killed.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- ISIS Attacks on Kirkuk Province Highways; Four Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2018
- Bodies Pollute River in Mosul; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 18th, 2018
- Seven U.S. Airmen Among 131 Killed in Iraq – March 16th, 2018
- U.S. Military Helicopter Crash; 63 Killed in Iraq – March 15th, 2018
- Mass Grave Found Near Kirkuk; 29 Killed in Iraq – March 14th, 2018