Iraq Prepares to Assault New Town; 239 Killed Across Country
Reinforcements were deployed to the Ain al-Asad base in preparation for an assault on Hit and Kubeisa. These towns are upstream from Ramadi. Falluja, which has been begging for help, lies in the opposite direction.
A protest of sorts broke out on social media when a cleric, Sheikh Jalaleddin al-Saghir, called on Iraqis to give up eating chocolate as a way to break through economic malaise.
The former head of the National Security Agency, Gen. Michael Hayden, blamed intelligence agencies for the wrong conclusion on Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction.
The Iraqi government has reportedly begun building a wall around Baghdad.
At least 239 were killed and 56 were wounded:
In Dour, a roadside bomb killed four people and wounded two more, all from the same family.
Four militiamen were killed and three were wounded when a bomb exploded in Makhmour.
A bomb in Baghdad killed two people and wounded eight more.
In Baquba, a sticky bomb killed the provincial police chief and a bodyguard.
Security forces killed 35 militants in Zaidan.
In Hadher, 26 militants were killed.
Security forces killed 15 militants in Zankura.
Five militants were skilled and nine were wounded in an airstrike on Riyadh.
A sniper killed a Daesh judge in Falluja.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Blasts in Baghdad; 50 Killed in Iraq – June 30th, 2016
- Airstrikes near Fallujah Kill Hundreds; 285 Killed in Iraq – June 29th, 2016
- Sinjar Mass Graves in Danger of Destruction; 197 Killed Across Iraq – June 28th, 2016
- Suicide Blast at Abu Ghraib Mosque; 166 Killed in Iraq – June 27th, 2016
- Iran Artillery Fire Wounds Civilians; 93 Killed in Iraq – June 26th, 2016