Fighting Pauses in Falluja; 120 Killed in Iraq
Tribal fighters paused a two-day uprising in Falluja hoping to spare the lives of dozens of detainees held by the Islamic State. Local leaders called on Baghdad to prevent any massacres, but it is doubtful help will arrive in time to save the prisoners. However, many believe the clashes do represent weakness in Daesh’s stranglehold on the city.
Stolen radioactive materials were found near a gasoline station in Zubayr. The materials were stolen from an oil services company in Basra last November, but the theft was reported publicly only recently. The container in which it was stored appeared intact, so officials believe that no radioactivity was released.
At least 120 were killed and 18 were wounded:
Two people were killed and seven were wounded when a bomb exploded in Taji.
A blast targeting families fleeing Daesh killed one person and wounded five more near Kirkuk.
A bomb in Latifiya killed one policeman and wounded four more.
Police in Fatha killed 35 militants.
In Rutba, 25 militants were killed.
Eighteen militants were killed in airstrikes on Hamediya.
Clashes left 17 militants dead in Albu Obaid.
In Khalidiya, airstrikes killed seven militants.
Federal police killed five militants near Ramadi.
Operations in Albu Duaij and Yatama left three militants dead and two wounded.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Jonah’s Tomb Captured in Mosul; 50 Killed in Iraq – January 16th, 2017
- ISIS Attacks Checkpoints in Diyala Province; 184 Killed in Iraq – January 15th, 2017
- ISIS Burns Family to Death, Including Infant; 57 Killed in Iraq – January 14th, 2017
- Symbolic Buildings, Bridge Captured in Mosul; 118 Killed in Iraq – January 13th, 2017
- Mortars Strike Civilians in Mosul; 142 Killed in Iraq – January 12th, 2017