The number of Rutba residents arrested after protests against the Islamic State has risen to 230 detainees. The execution of a civil servant set off the protests. Their fate is unknown.
At least 169 were killed and 48 were wounded in other violence: In Mosul, militants blew up a mosque and defaced two churches. Coalition airstrikes killed 12 people and wounded four, including children; the strikes also killed 30 militants. Militants executed a man who was a former provincial council member and brigadier general. Eight militants were killed for desertion.
One policeman was killed and three were wounded in a blast in Taji.
In Harta, a sticky bomb killed a sheikh.
Airstrikes targeting those responsible for the deaths of two Iraqi army generals were conducted in the Qaim area. At least five militant commanders were killed along with several other militants.
Thirty militants were killed during security operations in Samarra.
In Baaj, 17 militants were killed and 12 were wounded apparently fighting each other for money.
Eight militants were killed and four more were wounded during strikes near Falluja.
Peshmerga forces in Bashiq returned fire and killed six militants.
An airstrike killed six militants and wounded four more near Ramadi.
In Fatha, four militants were killed.
Near the refinery in Baiji, two militants were killed.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Dozens of Sunnis Executed on Terror Charges; 53 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2017
- ISIS Attacks Troops, Mass Grave Found; 68 Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2017
- UN Probes Right Abuses in Restive Tuz Khormato; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 12th, 2017
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017
- Victory Parade in Green Zone; Seven Injured Across Iraq – December 10th, 2017