ISIS Militants Fight, Execute Each Other; 169 Killed across Iraq
The number of Rutba residents arrested after protests against the Islamic State has risen to 230 detainees. The execution of a civil servant set off the protests. Their fate is unknown.
At least 169 were killed and 48 were wounded in other violence: In Mosul, militants blew up a mosque and defaced two churches. Coalition airstrikes killed 12 people and wounded four, including children; the strikes also killed 30 militants. Militants executed a man who was a former provincial council member and brigadier general. Eight militants were killed for desertion.
One policeman was killed and three were wounded in a blast in Taji.
In Harta, a sticky bomb killed a sheikh.
Airstrikes targeting those responsible for the deaths of two Iraqi army generals were conducted in the Qaim area. At least five militant commanders were killed along with several other militants.
Thirty militants were killed during security operations in Samarra.
In Baaj, 17 militants were killed and 12 were wounded apparently fighting each other for money.
Eight militants were killed and four more were wounded during strikes near Falluja.
Peshmerga forces in Bashiq returned fire and killed six militants.
An airstrike killed six militants and wounded four more near Ramadi.
In Fatha, four militants were killed.
Near the refinery in Baiji, two militants were killed.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Arrests in Anti-ISIS Protest; 102 Killed across Iraq – August 29th, 2015
- Protests Resume in Baghdad; 88 Killed across Iraq – August 28th, 2015
- Two Generals among 75 Killed across Iraq – August 27th, 2015
- 205 Killed in Iraq; Kurdish Forces Launch Major Operation – August 26th, 2015
- At least 99 Killed across Iraq, including Kurdish Guerrillas – August 25th, 2015