The number of Rutba residents arrested after protests against the Islamic State has risen to 230 detainees. The execution of a civil servant set off the protests. Their fate is unknown.
At least 169 were killed and 48 were wounded in other violence: In Mosul, militants blew up a mosque and defaced two churches. Coalition airstrikes killed 12 people and wounded four, including children; the strikes also killed 30 militants. Militants executed a man who was a former provincial council member and brigadier general. Eight militants were killed for desertion.
One policeman was killed and three were wounded in a blast in Taji.
In Harta, a sticky bomb killed a sheikh.
Airstrikes targeting those responsible for the deaths of two Iraqi army generals were conducted in the Qaim area. At least five militant commanders were killed along with several other militants.
Thirty militants were killed during security operations in Samarra.
In Baaj, 17 militants were killed and 12 were wounded apparently fighting each other for money.
Eight militants were killed and four more were wounded during strikes near Falluja.
Peshmerga forces in Bashiq returned fire and killed six militants.
An airstrike killed six militants and wounded four more near Ramadi.
In Fatha, four militants were killed.
Near the refinery in Baiji, two militants were killed.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Random Attacks Rattle North; 23 Killed in Iraq – October 21st, 2018
- Nine Militants Killed During Security Operations in Iraq – October 20th, 2018
- Anti-ISIS Imam Among 11 Killed in Iraq – October 19th, 2018
- Over 2,200 Bodies Exhumed in Mosul Region; Four Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2018
- Iraq Executes Six Convicts; 14 Others Killed in Attacks – October 17th, 2018