A mass grave dating to the 1991 Shi’ite Uprising was excavated in Basra province. It gave up at least 377 victims. Many of them were women and children. Dozens more known mass graves are awaiting examination in the province.
In current violence, at least 192 were killed and 61 were wounded:
A bomb in Baghdad killed one person and wounded 17 more.
Gunmen killed a senior oil official in Kirkuk.
Artillery fire left 26 militants dead in Saggara near Haditha.
Fifteen militants were killed in Alous.
Militiamen killed nine militants in Samarra.
Nineteen militants were killed during a failed attack on Bihalan, near Mosul. Many were also wounded.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Truffle Gatherers Under Attack; Three Killed in Iraq – March 22nd, 2019
- 30 Found in Yazidi Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – March 21st, 2019
- Soldiers Ambushed near Baghdad; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2019
- PKK in Fresh Clashes; Eight Killed in Iraq – March 17th, 2019
- Eight Killed in Iraq as Turks Battle PKK – March 16th, 2019