Iraq Army Recruits Targeted; 54 Killed, 67 Wounded
At least 54 people were killed and 67 more were wounded today. Although attacks were scattered across the northern half of Iraq, as usual, three attacks targeted army troops and recruits in the Kirkuk suburbs of Riyadh, Nissan and Rashad.
It is the second day of the election season and someone set fire to a car carrying campaign posters. Voting takes place on April 30, and related violence is expected to increase before then.
In Falluja, shelling killed two people and wounded five others, including children.
A bomb killed a policeman and wounded three more in Hit.
One militant was killed near the Syrian border.
Gunmen killed two Sahwa members on a road in the eastern part of the province.
A roadside bomb killed five soldiers and wounded three more in Nissan.
In Rashad, a bomb killed a soldier and wounded eight more.
A bomb killed two people and wounded six more in Madaen.
Two Sahwa were killed and two more were wounded when a bomb exploded in Abu Ghraib.
A police officer and four militants were killed during operations in Iskandariya.
In Kut, a policeman was killed and a civilian was wounded in a shooting.
Gunmen killed a civilian in Taji.
A bomb in Baiji wounded two civilians.
Gunmen wounded a police chief in Karbala.
Several guards were wounded when a bomb targeting a Samarra deputy commander exploded.
Unidentified gunmen in Tuz Khormato shot and wounded a militant leader and killed his companion.
Eleven militants were killed in Shora.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- ISIS Blows Up Tombs in Mosul; 147 Killed Across Iraq – July 24th, 2014
- Iran’s Support For Maliki Dwindles As Over 200 Are Killed in Iraq – July 23rd, 2014
- 288 Slain As Maliki Urges Sunni Tribes To Fight For Iraq Government – July 22nd, 2014
- 257 Killed Across Iraq, Mostly In Security Ops – July 21st, 2014
- 131 Killed In Iraq As Deadline Passes for Christians To Leave Mosul – July 20th, 2014