At least 60 people were killed and 60 more were wounded today. A gruesome attack in northern Iraq left 16 dead at an army base.
An unknown number of gunmen, wearing military uniforms, attacked an oil protection base near Mosul in Ayn al-Jahish, where they killed 16 Iraqi soldiers and possibly kidnapped one more. There are conflicting reports as to how they died, but it was some combination of shootings, beheadings and the slitting of throats.
In Mosul, gunmen killed a Turkmen citizen. A roadside bomb killed a policeman and wounded two others. A bomb targeting a military patrol killed a woman and a child, and it also wounded a second woman. Two militants were killed in separate locations. Seventeen militants were killed during clashes.
A Sahwa member was killed and two more were wounded in a mcahine-gun attack in Tarmiya.
A bomb in Meshahda killed one civilian and wounded another.
In Baghdad, gunmen killed a person in Baladiyat.
A dumped body was found in Sadr City.
Gunmen killed a Sahwa member at a checkpoint in Hawija.
In Baquba, a sticky bomb killed a taxi driver.
Two civilians were wounded in a blast in Muqdadiya.
A roadside bomb wounded a woman in Kirkuk.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018
- Two Killed, 33 Injured in Continuing Protests in Southern Iraq – July 14th, 2018
- Protests Spread Through Southern Provinces; 7 Killed, 57 Wounded in Iraq – July 13th, 2018