As the tensions in Anbar province continue, residents are left wondering who the masked gunmen in Falluja really are. Some doubt that the gunmen are members of the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL). Others believe labeling them as al-Qaeda is merely part of Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki’s re-election campaign. In any case, local authorities are hoping to prevent a full military assault from Baghdad. Shelling killed one civilian and wounded four more, including a woman and a child.
Meanwhile, a tribal military commander said that most of Ramadi is now in the hands of the tribes or police forces. Five gunmen were killed in a clash. Shelling left one civilian dead and five more wounded.
Two roadside bombs in targeting a border guards convoy left four dead and 30 wounded near Haditha.
A roadside bomb in Kut killed a teacher.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Suicide Bombers Blow Themselves up; Four Killed in Iraq – March 24th, 2019
- Truffle Gatherers Under Attack; Three Killed in Iraq – March 22nd, 2019
- 30 Found in Yazidi Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – March 21st, 2019
- Soldiers Ambushed near Baghdad; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2019
- PKK in Fresh Clashes; Eight Killed in Iraq – March 17th, 2019