At least 52 people were killed and 66 more were wounded in fresh violence. The one reported attack against pilgrims did not produce the high casualty figures. Instead, it was a military operation in Anbar province that went awry.
A military operation on an insurgent training camp near Wadi Horan left 24 Iraqi troops dead, including a general and other high-ranking officers. Another 35 others were wounded. The number of insurgent casualties was not reported; however, more clashes occurred later in the day. In those, at least two al-Qaeda leaders were killed, so far.
In Baghdad, gunmen killed a Sunni shop-owner and his son in a Shi’ite district.
Mortar fire killed an officer and a soldier in Kirkuk.
In Tarmiya, a clash left one soldier dead and two more wounded.
Gunmen killed a municipal councilman in Rawa.
A policeman was shot dead in Baaj.
In Baquba, gunmen killed a civilian.
>Gunmen wounded a security official and his son in Qayara.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Suicide Bomber Attacks Militia; 15 Killed in Iraq – December 15th, 2017
- Dozens of Sunnis Executed on Terror Charges; 53 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2017
- ISIS Attacks Troops, Mass Grave Found; 68 Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2017
- UN Probes Right Abuses in Restive Tuz Khormato; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 12th, 2017
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017