At least 52 people were killed and 66 more were wounded in fresh violence. The one reported attack against pilgrims did not produce the high casualty figures. Instead, it was a military operation in Anbar province that went awry.
A military operation on an insurgent training camp near Wadi Horan left 24 Iraqi troops dead, including a general and other high-ranking officers. Another 35 others were wounded. The number of insurgent casualties was not reported; however, more clashes occurred later in the day. In those, at least two al-Qaeda leaders were killed, so far.
In Baghdad, gunmen killed a Sunni shop-owner and his son in a Shi’ite district.
Mortar fire killed an officer and a soldier in Kirkuk.
In Tarmiya, a clash left one soldier dead and two more wounded.
Gunmen killed a municipal councilman in Rawa.
A policeman was shot dead in Baaj.
In Baquba, gunmen killed a civilian.
>Gunmen wounded a security official and his son in Qayara.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Turkish Airstrikes Leave Kurdish Fatalities; 14 Killed in Iraq – March 22nd, 2018
- India Abductees Found Dead Near Mosul; 72 Killed in Iraq – March 20th, 2018
- ISIS Attacks on Kirkuk Province Highways; Four Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2018
- Bodies Pollute River in Mosul; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 18th, 2018
- Seven U.S. Airmen Among 131 Killed in Iraq – March 16th, 2018