Bombers struck at two Baghdad markets leaving dozens dead or wounded. Less deadly, but numerous, attacks took place elsewhere in central and northern Iraq. Overall at least 58 people were killed and 109 more were wounded.
In Baghdad, a bomb at a Sabaa al-Bour market left 20 dead and 71 wounded; the bomb set off three gas canister explosions. Eight people were killed and 14 more were wounded in a blast at another market in Doura. South of the city, gunmen killed a former Sahwa member and four male relatives.
In Mosul, a car bomb killed three soldiers and wounded a fourth one. Two dumped bodies, one belonging to a policeman and the other to a soldier, were discovered three days after their abductions. A soldier was gunned down at a checkpoint. Gunmen wounded four soldiers and a civilian. A bomb killed a policeman and wounded two civilians.
Four Sahwa members were killed in a roadside bombing in Sedira.
A bomb near a mobile phone shop in Muqdadiya killed the owner and wounded two others.
A soldier was killed and two more were wounded in a blast in Yathrib.
A sticky bomb in Falluja left one dead and another wounded.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- UN Probes Right Abuses in Restive Tuz Khormato; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 12th, 2017
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017
- Victory Parade in Green Zone; Seven Injured Across Iraq – December 10th, 2017
- Scattered Attacks Leave 51 Killed Across Iraq – December 9th, 2017
- Christians Again Displaced; 13 Killed in Iraq – December 8th, 2017