Bombers struck at two Baghdad markets leaving dozens dead or wounded. Less deadly, but numerous, attacks took place elsewhere in central and northern Iraq. Overall at least 58 people were killed and 109 more were wounded.
In Baghdad, a bomb at a Sabaa al-Bour market left 20 dead and 71 wounded; the bomb set off three gas canister explosions. Eight people were killed and 14 more were wounded in a blast at another market in Doura. South of the city, gunmen killed a former Sahwa member and four male relatives.
In Mosul, a car bomb killed three soldiers and wounded a fourth one. Two dumped bodies, one belonging to a policeman and the other to a soldier, were discovered three days after their abductions. A soldier was gunned down at a checkpoint. Gunmen wounded four soldiers and a civilian. A bomb killed a policeman and wounded two civilians.
Four Sahwa members were killed in a roadside bombing in Sedira.
A bomb near a mobile phone shop in Muqdadiya killed the owner and wounded two others.
A soldier was killed and two more were wounded in a blast in Yathrib.
A sticky bomb in Falluja left one dead and another wounded.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Kurds Flee as Baghdad Captures Kirkuk; 60 Killed, 133 Wounded – October 16th, 2017
- Iraq Forgets ISIS, Moves Against Kirkuk; 15 Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2017
- Shots Fired Between Kurdish Peshmerga and Shi’ite Militia; 50 Killed in Iraq – October 14th, 2017
- Kurds Withdraw from Turkmen Towns; 14 Killed in Iraq – October 13th, 2017
- Kurdish Peshmerga Block Roads; Six Killed in Iraq – October 12th, 2017