A mosque, where a bombing set off sectarian violence in 2006, suffered the worst of today’s violence. Overall, at least 30 Iraqis were killed and 52 more were wounded.
Twenty-two people were killed and 29 more were wounded at the Musab bin Omair Mosque in Samarra, when two bombs, hidden in the air conditioning system, were detonated as worshippers gathered for midday prayers.
Separately, a mortar killed a woman and her daughter nearby and wounded the woman’s husband. West of Samarra, mortars killed a young girl and wounded two relatives. Also, an I.E.D. wounded five policemen.
In Mosul, a bomb targeting a police colonel killed a female bystander and wounded 12 others, including the colonel.
A bomb killed one person and wounded three more in Adhaim.
A soldier was killed after being abducted in Kirkuk.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Truffle Gatherers Under Attack; Three Killed in Iraq – March 22nd, 2019
- 30 Found in Yazidi Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – March 21st, 2019
- Soldiers Ambushed near Baghdad; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2019
- PKK in Fresh Clashes; Eight Killed in Iraq – March 17th, 2019
- Eight Killed in Iraq as Turks Battle PKK – March 16th, 2019