Bombers Attack Iraq Militia Leader; 26 Killed Across Country
Sunday: 26 Killed, 49 Wounded
Suicide bombers in the capital tried to assassinated Wissam al-Harden who is the appointed head of the Sahwa movement. It was today’s deadliest attack. At least 26 people were killed and 49 more were wounded in that and other violence.
In Baghdad, a two suicide bombers attacked Sahwa leader, Wissam al-Hardan. They killed eight people and wounded 14 more. Earlier this year, Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki appointed Harden as the head of the Sunni Sahwa militia movement.
Gunmen killed one civilian and wounded three more in Melhaniya. Gunmen killed a civilian in Bayaa. In Amil, gunmen killed a man at a shop. Two kidnapped children were liberated. Gunmen, probably in Amin, killed two people and wounded three more.
Five people were killed and six others were wounded when a bomb exploded in Tikrit; a judge, who was the target of the blast, was among the wounded.
Two bombs wounded three people on a Mussayab soccer field.
In Ramadi, a bomb wounded two policemen.
Gunmen wounded two policemen in Amiriyat al-Falluja.
Gunmen in Dibis wounded two soldiers.
An I.E.D. in Zab targeted a Sahwa leader but wounded a civilian instead.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mortars Target Civilians in Mosul; 109 Killed in Iraq – March 22nd, 2017
- New Reports of Chemical Weapons in Mosul; 47 Killed in Iraq – March 21st, 2017
- 117 Killed in Iraq; ISIS Captures 9 Officers in Mosul – March 20th, 2017
- Civilians Flee Airstrikes in Mosul; 80 Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2017
- Another Chemical Attack in Mosul; 28 Killed in Iraq – March 18th, 2017