25 Iraqis Killed in Raids, Gunfire and Blasts
Tuesday: 25 Killed, 13 Wounded
Including nine suspects who died in security raids, at least 25 Iraqis were killed and 13 more were wounded. Also, a court threw out a law that would prevent divisive Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki from running for a third term as premier.
Nine suspects were killed in raids north of Baghdad. Over 300 other people were arrested. The raids, which are being conducted by the central government, have been controversial. Sunni leaders have claimed that many innocent people were detained in them. A local councilman was among today’s detainees. Forces were also repelled from a protest.
Five people were killed and seven more were wounded when two bombs exploded at an elder’s home in Madaen; the elder was unharmed.
A bomb in Qayara killed three soldiers, one of them an officer.
One policeman was killed and another was wounded during a shooting at a Falluja checkpoint.
Gunmen killed a soldier in Jalawla.
In Baghdad, a sticky bomb planted on a car at the Sunni Endowment office wounded a driver.
A roadside bomb wounded a civilian in Baquba.
An I.E.D. in Shirqat wounded two policemen.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 78 Killed in Iraq; Bombs Rattle Baghdad, Shirqat – July 23rd, 2016
- Sadr Militia to Fight in Mosul; 29 Killed in Iraq – July 22nd, 2016
- More Exposure Deaths near Shirqat; 37 Killed in Iraq – July 21st, 2016
- Death by Exposure for Children Fleeing ISIS; 29 Killed in Iraq – July 20th, 2016
- Dozens of Civilians Executed; 69 Killed Across Iraq – July 19th, 2016