25 Iraqis Killed in Raids, Gunfire and Blasts
Tuesday: 25 Killed, 13 Wounded
Including nine suspects who died in security raids, at least 25 Iraqis were killed and 13 more were wounded. Also, a court threw out a law that would prevent divisive Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki from running for a third term as premier.
Nine suspects were killed in raids north of Baghdad. Over 300 other people were arrested. The raids, which are being conducted by the central government, have been controversial. Sunni leaders have claimed that many innocent people were detained in them. A local councilman was among today’s detainees. Forces were also repelled from a protest.
Five people were killed and seven more were wounded when two bombs exploded at an elder’s home in Madaen; the elder was unharmed.
A bomb in Qayara killed three soldiers, one of them an officer.
One policeman was killed and another was wounded during a shooting at a Falluja checkpoint.
Gunmen killed a soldier in Jalawla.
In Baghdad, a sticky bomb planted on a car at the Sunni Endowment office wounded a driver.
A roadside bomb wounded a civilian in Baquba.
An I.E.D. in Shirqat wounded two policemen.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Blasts in Baghdad; 50 Killed in Iraq – June 30th, 2016
- Airstrikes near Fallujah Kill Hundreds; 285 Killed in Iraq – June 29th, 2016
- Sinjar Mass Graves in Danger of Destruction; 197 Killed Across Iraq – June 28th, 2016
- Suicide Blast at Abu Ghraib Mosque; 166 Killed in Iraq – June 27th, 2016
- Iran Artillery Fire Wounds Civilians; 93 Killed in Iraq – June 26th, 2016