Southern Iraq Bombed: 62 Killed, 146 Wounded Across Country
At least 62 people were killed and 148 more were wounded. Meanwhile, controversial raids on predominantly Sunni region continued.
Despite continuing accusations from Sunni politicians that current security operations are not necessarily targeting terrorists, Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has sworn to continue them. In today’s raids in the Hamrin Mountains, seven suspects were killed and 116 others were captured. Altogether, though, at least 207 were detained in several provinces.
Six people were killed and 15 more were wounded in a double bombing in Iskandariya.
A bomb at a café north of Baghdad exploded, killing five people and wounding 15 more.
One person was killed and four more were wounded in a blast near a restaurant in Samarra.
In Garma, three civilians were wounded in a blast. Gunmen killed a civilian and wounded three family members on a road near the city.
In Mosul, gunmen killed a police colonel on his way home. Two other policemen were gunned down as well. Security forces killed two gunmen planting a bomb. A civilian was killed in a sticky bomb blast. At least two more policemen were killed.
Nine insurgents were killed and four more were wounded in an apparent retaliatory blast near Rashad.
Soldiers raiding an abandoned home in Amiriyat al-Falluja triggered a booby-trap bomb, killing three of them and wounding two more.
In Qayara, a bomb killed one policeman and wounded another.
A policeman and a civilian were wounded during a shooting in Falluja.
Two policemen were wounded in a blast in Jalawla.
A bomb in Dhi Qar province wounded five people.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- As Diplomats Discuss Iraq, 86 Are Killed across Country – September 15th, 2014
- Falluja Hospital Bombed Again As 42 Killed Across Iraq – September 14th, 2014
- Iraq PM Promises No More Airstrikes on Civilians; 63 Killed, 22 Wounded – September 13th, 2014
- 28 Killed, 56 Wounded in Bombings and Airstrikes Across Iraq – September 12th, 2014
- Bombers Strike in Baghdad and Southern Iraq: 124 Killed, 81 Wounded – September 11th, 2014