Councilman Among 13 Killed in Iraq
Sunday: 13 Killed, 32 Wounded
The Sunni-dominated Al-Mutahudin political bloc accused the central government of launching a sectarian crackdown against residents of predominantly Sunni regions of Iraq. According to the Shi’ite-led government, the operations, which began soon after a pair of jailbreaks near Baghdad, are ostensibly to "root out" al-Qaeda fighters. In recent days, security forces have not only arrested hundreds of people, but they have also killed dozens of suspects.
Thousands of Syrians fleeing the civil war back home have entered Iraqi Kurdistan over the last few days.
At least 13 people were killed and 32 more were wounded in the latest round of attacks.
In Baghdad, a bomb killed two people and wounded nine more in the Amiriya district. Two civilians were killed and eight more were wounded in the nearby Khadraa neighborhood.
Four policemen were killed and seven more were wounded during clashes near Samarra.
The body of a kidnapped councilman was discovered near Rashad.
Near Kirkuk, gunmen killed a Sahwa leader and his three-year-old niece and also wounded his seven-year-old nephew.
A bomb wounded two policemen in Garma.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Bombers Kill, Wound Scores in Baghdad; 83 Killed Across Iraq – September 27th, 2016
- Fighting Ramps up in Anbar province; 112 Killed in Iraq – September 26th, 2016
- Mass Executions in Mosul; 145 Killed in Iraq – September 25th, 2016
- Attack on Security Chiefs near Tikrit; 87 Killed in Iraq – September 24th, 2016
- UK Ramps Up Strikes; 16 Killed in Iraq – September 23rd, 2016