Councilman Among 13 Killed in Iraq
Sunday: 13 Killed, 32 Wounded
The Sunni-dominated Al-Mutahudin political bloc accused the central government of launching a sectarian crackdown against residents of predominantly Sunni regions of Iraq. According to the Shi’ite-led government, the operations, which began soon after a pair of jailbreaks near Baghdad, are ostensibly to "root out" al-Qaeda fighters. In recent days, security forces have not only arrested hundreds of people, but they have also killed dozens of suspects.
Thousands of Syrians fleeing the civil war back home have entered Iraqi Kurdistan over the last few days.
At least 13 people were killed and 32 more were wounded in the latest round of attacks.
In Baghdad, a bomb killed two people and wounded nine more in the Amiriya district. Two civilians were killed and eight more were wounded in the nearby Khadraa neighborhood.
Four policemen were killed and seven more were wounded during clashes near Samarra.
The body of a kidnapped councilman was discovered near Rashad.
Near Kirkuk, gunmen killed a Sahwa leader and his three-year-old niece and also wounded his seven-year-old nephew.
A bomb wounded two policemen in Garma.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 78 Killed in Iraq; Bombs Rattle Baghdad, Shirqat – July 23rd, 2016
- Sadr Militia to Fight in Mosul; 29 Killed in Iraq – July 22nd, 2016
- More Exposure Deaths near Shirqat; 37 Killed in Iraq – July 21st, 2016
- Death by Exposure for Children Fleeing ISIS; 29 Killed in Iraq – July 20th, 2016
- Dozens of Civilians Executed; 69 Killed Across Iraq – July 19th, 2016