Councilman Among 13 Killed in Iraq
Sunday: 13 Killed, 32 Wounded
The Sunni-dominated Al-Mutahudin political bloc accused the central government of launching a sectarian crackdown against residents of predominantly Sunni regions of Iraq. According to the Shi’ite-led government, the operations, which began soon after a pair of jailbreaks near Baghdad, are ostensibly to "root out" al-Qaeda fighters. In recent days, security forces have not only arrested hundreds of people, but they have also killed dozens of suspects.
Thousands of Syrians fleeing the civil war back home have entered Iraqi Kurdistan over the last few days.
At least 13 people were killed and 32 more were wounded in the latest round of attacks.
In Baghdad, a bomb killed two people and wounded nine more in the Amiriya district. Two civilians were killed and eight more were wounded in the nearby Khadraa neighborhood.
Four policemen were killed and seven more were wounded during clashes near Samarra.
The body of a kidnapped councilman was discovered near Rashad.
Near Kirkuk, gunmen killed a Sahwa leader and his three-year-old niece and also wounded his seven-year-old nephew.
A bomb wounded two policemen in Garma.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 192 Killed in Iraq; Explosion at ISIS Storage Facility Kills Dozens – December 1st, 2016
- 5,719 Killed in Iraq during November – November 30th, 2016
- Army Opens New Front near Hawija; 138 Killed in Iraq – November 29th, 2016
- ISIS Attacks Police in Samarra; 49 Killed in Iraq – November 28th, 2016
- Civilians Suffering at Displacement Camps; 122 Killed in Iraq – November 27th, 2016