Iraqis seeking relief from the summer heat have become easy marks for insurgents. Swimmers were again targeted today, as well as Iraqis taking evening breaks at cafes. At least 30 were killed and 42 more were wounded.
In Mosul, a bomb killed seven people, including a boy, and wounded 21 more at a cafe. Two policemen were killed and three others were wounded in an attack on a checkpoint.
Three children were killed and four others were wounded when a bomb targeting swimmers in Muqdadiya exploded. It is the second attack on swimmers this week. The three killed were children. Separately, a roadside bomb killed a policeman and wounded another. Also, an attack against a sheikh in Jumaili left his wife dead and three family members wounded.
Gunmen attacked a police checkpoint in the Thar Thar region, but the policemen were able to return fire and kill three of them.
An I.E.D. in Hammam al-Alil killed two policemen and wounded one more.
Two soldiers were shot dead in Ramadi.
Two soldiers and three gunmen were killed in an attack in al-Jazeera.
In Baghdad, a bomb at an Adhamiya cafe killed one person and wounded six more.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Political Blocs Discuss Coalition Building; Seven Killed in Iraq – August 19th, 2018
- Militia Armory Burns and Explodes; 15 Killed in Iraq – August 18th, 2018
- Electric Infrastructure Targeted; Six Killed in Iraq – August 17th, 2018
- Six Executed in Iraq; Six Others Killed Across Country – August 16th, 2018
- Protests in Basra Ramp up Again; 30 Killed in Iraq – August 15th, 2018