Iraq launched a massive operation across Anbar and Nineva provinces. According to the government, the mission was to raid al-Qaeda strongholds and strengthen border security. Several al-Qaeda suspects were killed, including two senior commanders. Overall, at least 20 people were killed and 44 more were wounded.
Five soldiers were killed in a roadside bombing in Hit.
Five policemen were killed or injured when a bomb exploded at a Tikrit gas station.
Near Baquba, Diyala’s governor came under a bomb and small arms attack in which one bodyguard was wounded.
A pair of bombs targeting an army deputy commander in Awja wounded two bodyguards when it exploded.
Gunmen in Falluja wounded two civilians traveling in a car. Four soldiers were wounded in a separate explosion. Gunmen killed an interior ministry staff member and wounded a second person.
A bomb on road in Abu Saida exploded and wounded a Sahwa member.
Clashes took place in Rawa.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018
- Two Killed, 33 Injured in Continuing Protests in Southern Iraq – July 14th, 2018
- Protests Spread Through Southern Provinces; 7 Killed, 57 Wounded in Iraq – July 13th, 2018
- Oil Field Protests Escalate; 13 Killed in Iraq – July 12th, 2018
- Large ISIS Convoy Crosses over from Syria; 27 Killed in Iraq – July 11th, 2018