Iraq launched a massive operation across Anbar and Nineva provinces. According to the government, the mission was to raid al-Qaeda strongholds and strengthen border security. Several al-Qaeda suspects were killed, including two senior commanders. Overall, at least 20 people were killed and 44 more were wounded.
Five soldiers were killed in a roadside bombing in Hit.
Five policemen were killed or injured when a bomb exploded at a Tikrit gas station.
Near Baquba, Diyala’s governor came under a bomb and small arms attack in which one bodyguard was wounded.
A pair of bombs targeting an army deputy commander in Awja wounded two bodyguards when it exploded.
Gunmen in Falluja wounded two civilians traveling in a car. Four soldiers were wounded in a separate explosion. Gunmen killed an interior ministry staff member and wounded a second person.
A bomb on road in Abu Saida exploded and wounded a Sahwa member.
Clashes took place in Rawa.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Iraq Executes Six Convicts; 14 Others Killed in Attacks – October 17th, 2018
- ISIS Commander Blamed for Iran Attack among 18 Killed in Iraq – October 16th, 2018
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018
- Mass Grave Gives up 78 Victims; 11 Recently Killed in Iraq – October 13th, 2018