Iraq: Judge, Sahwa Fighters among 17 Killed
Friday: 17 Killed, 7 Wounded
At least 17 people were killed, including a political candidate and numerous security personnel, as another seven were wounded. Demonstrations again took place in Falluja and Ramadi, while special prayer services were held in Diyala province. Also, a protest nearly turned into a riot in Mosul.
Gunmen disguised in military uniforms lured seven Sahwa members to their deaths in Tuz Khormato. The men were tied up and executed. Some of the bodies were found mutilated. An eighth Sahwa member may have been killed, but he was captured separately from the original seven.
In Qayara, gunmen killed three people, including a civilian.
A sticky bomb killed a political candidate and two bodyguards in Jurf al-Sakhar.
In Mosul, gunmen killed the owner of a currency exchange.
Two bombs in Kirkuk wounded three people.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Twenty Killed in Attacks Focused on Iraqi Security Forces – May 23rd, 2013
- 31 Killed in Iraq, Including 12 Slaughtered in a Baghdad Brothel – May 22nd, 2013
- Sixty Killed, 132 Wounded in Ongoing Iraq Carnage – May 21st, 2013
- Monday Mayhem: 133 Killed, 283 Wounded in Iraq – May 20th, 2013
- Iraqi Police Targeted As Attacks Claim 44 Lives – May 19th, 2013