Iraq: Judge, Sahwa Fighters among 17 Killed
Friday: 17 Killed, 7 Wounded
At least 17 people were killed, including a political candidate and numerous security personnel, as another seven were wounded. Demonstrations again took place in Falluja and Ramadi, while special prayer services were held in Diyala province. Also, a protest nearly turned into a riot in Mosul.
Gunmen disguised in military uniforms lured seven Sahwa members to their deaths in Tuz Khormato. The men were tied up and executed. Some of the bodies were found mutilated. An eighth Sahwa member may have been killed, but he was captured separately from the original seven.
In Qayara, gunmen killed three people, including a civilian.
A sticky bomb killed a political candidate and two bodyguards in Jurf al-Sakhar.
In Mosul, gunmen killed the owner of a currency exchange.
Two bombs in Kirkuk wounded three people.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Fight for Turkmen Town Unfolding As 200 Are Killed across Iraq – August 30th, 2014
- 220 Killed, 130 Wounded Across Iraq – August 29th, 2014
- ISIS Releases Beheading Video As 161 Are Killed Across Iraq – August 28th, 2014
- 168 Killed Across Iraq As U.S. and Militiamen Focus on Rescuing Turkmen in Amerli – August 27th, 2014
- Another Bombing in Baghdad; 80 Killed in Iraq – August 26th, 2014