Iraq: Judge, Sahwa Fighters among 17 Killed
Friday: 17 Killed, 7 Wounded
At least 17 people were killed, including a political candidate and numerous security personnel, as another seven were wounded. Demonstrations again took place in Falluja and Ramadi, while special prayer services were held in Diyala province. Also, a protest nearly turned into a riot in Mosul.
Gunmen disguised in military uniforms lured seven Sahwa members to their deaths in Tuz Khormato. The men were tied up and executed. Some of the bodies were found mutilated. An eighth Sahwa member may have been killed, but he was captured separately from the original seven.
In Qayara, gunmen killed three people, including a civilian.
A sticky bomb killed a political candidate and two bodyguards in Jurf al-Sakhar.
In Mosul, gunmen killed the owner of a currency exchange.
Two bombs in Kirkuk wounded three people.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mass Executions Continue in Northern Iraq; 167 Killed – May 3rd, 2015
- Canadian PM Visits Iraq as 110 Are Killed – May 2nd, 2015
- Politicians Blame Anbar Refugees for Baghdad Blasts; 65 Killed across Iraq – May 1st, 2015
- 4,811 Killed in Iraq during April – April 30th, 2015
- 69 Killed across Iraq as Sadr Threatens Return to Fight – April 29th, 2015