Senior Army Official and Judge Among 9 Killed in Iraq
Saturday: 9 Killed, 7 Wounded
Although violence was light, a senior military official and a judge were among today’s victims. Overall, at least nine people were killed and seven more were wounded.
A senior Iraq army official and four guards were killed when a two suicide bombers approached them at the official’s home in Tal Afar. One suicide bomber was shot dead as he was pretending to ask for help. The second struck when a vehicle carrying Brig. Gen. Ali Aouni, who is the head of the Defense Ministry’s intelligence school, left his compound. The intended target, according to some, may have been Aouni’s neighbor, who is also a senior official. Four more people were wounded in the attack.
In Hit, a bomb killed an army lieutenant and wounded two soldiers.
A sticky bomb killed a judge and wounded his son in Suleiman Pak.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 164 Killed in Iraq; Bombers Strike near Shi’ite Shrine – July 24th, 2016
- 78 Killed in Iraq; Bombs Rattle Baghdad, Shirqat – July 23rd, 2016
- Sadr Militia to Fight in Mosul; 29 Killed in Iraq – July 22nd, 2016
- More Exposure Deaths near Shirqat; 37 Killed in Iraq – July 21st, 2016
- Death by Exposure for Children Fleeing ISIS; 29 Killed in Iraq – July 20th, 2016