Iraq: 39 Killed, 125 Wounded Ahead of Arba’een Holiday
The relative peace of the last week was shattered today when seemingly coordinated attacks against Shi’ites took place. At least 39 people were killed and 125 more were wounded. The attacks came as Shi’ite pilgrims were preparing for Arba’een observances, and Sunnis were protesting the arrest of a Sunni minister’s bodyguards. Also, yesterday marked the sixth anniversary of Saddam Hussein’s execution.
Seven Shi’ites were killed in Mussayab. Bombs had been planted around two homes, one of them belonging to a policeman. Two of the dead were children. Two women and three men were also killed. Four people were also wounded.
Five policemen were killed and six more were wounded as they tried to defuse a bomb in Kirkuk; three more were wounded. At least one other person was killed and nine more were wounded. A clash between gunmen and Asayesh forces left two gunmen dead and one agent wounded. A Sahwa commander was assassinated.
A bomb killed four people and wounded a girl in Khanaqin.
Two bombs in Khalis killed two pilgrims and wounded 16 more.
Mortars killed one pilgrim and wounded 11 more in Latifiya.
In Mosul, three policemen were shot dead in separate locations.
In Baquba, gunmen attacked the home of a national reconciliation adviser, killing one bodyguard and wounding two more.
Five people were wounded in Balad Ruz when a bomb exploded.
A bomb in Riyadh wounded two civilians.
Two men allegedly planting bombs were killed in Mahalabia.
A bomb targeting police in Tikrit wounded two bystanders instead.
In Bani Saad, a bomb wounded three people.
Two houses in Hawija were blown up, but no casualties were reported.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Suicide Bomber Attacks Police; 22 Killed, 30 Wounded Across Iraq – December 12th, 2013
- Attacks Iraq Security Forces and Politicians Leave 17 Dead and 11 Wounded – December 11th, 2013
- Bombers Attack Another Funeral; 39 Killed, 46 Wounded Across Iraq – December 10th, 2013
- 43 Killed, 60 Wounded in Ongoing Iraq Attacks – December 9th, 2013
- Baghdad Takes the Brunt of Attacks That Leave 61 Dead, 214 Wounded – December 8th, 2013