Protests took place for the fourth time since Finance Minister Rafi al-Issawi’s bodyguards were arrested last week. In one protest, thousands blocked the main highway through Anbar province. Another protest erupted in neighboring Salah ad Din province. The Sunni demonstrators believe the arrests are part of the Shi’ite-dominated government’s campaign of marginalization against them.
The Kurdish Regional Government again ceased oil exports over lack of sufficient payments from the central government. Earlier this year the Kurds had stopped shipments but restarted them when Baghdad promised to pay 1 trillion Iraqi dinars in September. Baghdad admits to shorting the Kurds, but claims the Kurds have not been pumping sufficient quantities of oil..
A grenade attack in Falluja wounded a policeman and a civilian.
A kidnapping victim was freed in Tikrit.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Soldiers Retreat after Bloody Battles in Mosul; 229 Killed in Iraq – December 8th, 2016
- Bombers Successful in Mosul, Baghdad; 129 Killed in Iraq – December 7th, 2016
- Bus Bomb Explodes at Mosul Market; 35 Killed in Iraq – December 6th, 2016
- Displaced Executed near Kirkuk; 110 Killed in Iraq – December 5th, 2016
- Attacks on Mosul Civilians Continue; 115 Killed in Iraq – December 4th, 2016