Protests took place for the fourth time since Finance Minister Rafi al-Issawi’s bodyguards were arrested last week. In one protest, thousands blocked the main highway through Anbar province. Another protest erupted in neighboring Salah ad Din province. The Sunni demonstrators believe the arrests are part of the Shi’ite-dominated government’s campaign of marginalization against them.
The Kurdish Regional Government again ceased oil exports over lack of sufficient payments from the central government. Earlier this year the Kurds had stopped shipments but restarted them when Baghdad promised to pay 1 trillion Iraqi dinars in September. Baghdad admits to shorting the Kurds, but claims the Kurds have not been pumping sufficient quantities of oil..
A grenade attack in Falluja wounded a policeman and a civilian.
A kidnapping victim was freed in Tikrit.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 89 Killed in Iraq as Bombers Strike near Baghdad Shrine – October 3rd, 2015
- 36 Killed in Iraq; Embedded Journalist Wounded – October 2nd, 2015
- 257 Killed in Iraq as Abadi Asks for More Airstrikes – October 1st, 2015
- 3,842 Killed in Iraq during September – September 30th, 2015
- Airstrikes Kill Civilians in North; 107 Dead across Iraq – September 29th, 2015