Protests took place for the fourth time since Finance Minister Rafi al-Issawi’s bodyguards were arrested last week. In one protest, thousands blocked the main highway through Anbar province. Another protest erupted in neighboring Salah ad Din province. The Sunni demonstrators believe the arrests are part of the Shi’ite-dominated government’s campaign of marginalization against them.
The Kurdish Regional Government again ceased oil exports over lack of sufficient payments from the central government. Earlier this year the Kurds had stopped shipments but restarted them when Baghdad promised to pay 1 trillion Iraqi dinars in September. Baghdad admits to shorting the Kurds, but claims the Kurds have not been pumping sufficient quantities of oil..
A grenade attack in Falluja wounded a policeman and a civilian.
A kidnapping victim was freed in Tikrit.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 418 Killed as Security Forces Capture Several Towns in Northern Iraq – October 23rd, 2016
- 598 Killed in Iraq; Hundreds Sickened by Sulfur Fumes – October 22nd, 2016
- 553 Killed and Executed in Iraq as Militants Attack Kirkuk – October 21st, 2016
- US Soldier Among 126 Killed in Iraq – October 20th, 2016
- 232 Killed in Iraq as Mosul Fighting Heats Up – October 19th, 2016