Protests took place for the fourth time since Finance Minister Rafi al-Issawi’s bodyguards were arrested last week. In one protest, thousands blocked the main highway through Anbar province. Another protest erupted in neighboring Salah ad Din province. The Sunni demonstrators believe the arrests are part of the Shi’ite-dominated government’s campaign of marginalization against them.
The Kurdish Regional Government again ceased oil exports over lack of sufficient payments from the central government. Earlier this year the Kurds had stopped shipments but restarted them when Baghdad promised to pay 1 trillion Iraqi dinars in September. Baghdad admits to shorting the Kurds, but claims the Kurds have not been pumping sufficient quantities of oil..
A grenade attack in Falluja wounded a policeman and a civilian.
A kidnapping victim was freed in Tikrit.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 242 Killed in Iraq; Militants Execute Scores in Mosul – July 27th, 2015
- Anbar University Captured; 113 Killed in Iraq – July 26th, 2015
- Turkmen Killed in Bombing at Pool; 30 Killed across Iraq – July 25th, 2015
- 154 Killed in Iraq as Turkey Resumes Bombing PKK Bases – July 24th, 2015
- 106 Killed in Iraq as US Defense Secretary Visits – July 23rd, 2015