Six Killed As Iraq Marks Ashoura
Saturday: 6 Killed, 7 Wounded
Hundreds of thousands of Shi’ite pilgrims are in Karbala to mark Ashoura, the holiday that commemorates the martyrdom of Imam Hussein. This year, many of the observers openly mixed politics with ritual.
The speaker of the parliament, Osama al-Nujaifi, said that progress has been made in the crisis between the Kurdish and central governments. Nevertheless, a large contingent of Peshmerga forces is reported on its way to Kirkuk.
Meanwhile, at least six Iraqis were killed and seven more were wounded in attacks.
A bomb exploded outside a home in Haswa and killed a civilian.
Two civilians were wounded in a bombing at a policeman’s home in Shirqat.
In Hit, an I.E.D. planted on a car seriously wounded a policeman.
A landmine wounded a shepherd in Mahaweel.
A hand grenade left no casualties in Abi Gharaq.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 154 Killed in Iraq, including Dozens of Displaced Children – July 31st, 2015
- Mass Grave Unearthed in Mosul; 194 Killed across Iraq – July 30th, 2015
- Turkey Escalates Airstrikes; 175 Killed across Iraq – July 29th, 2015
- Suicide Bombers Ignite Battles in Ramadi and Baiji; 72 Killed across Iraq – July 28th, 2015
- 242 Killed in Iraq; Militants Execute Scores in Mosul – July 27th, 2015