Six Killed As Iraq Marks Ashoura
Saturday: 6 Killed, 7 Wounded
Hundreds of thousands of Shi’ite pilgrims are in Karbala to mark Ashoura, the holiday that commemorates the martyrdom of Imam Hussein. This year, many of the observers openly mixed politics with ritual.
The speaker of the parliament, Osama al-Nujaifi, said that progress has been made in the crisis between the Kurdish and central governments. Nevertheless, a large contingent of Peshmerga forces is reported on its way to Kirkuk.
Meanwhile, at least six Iraqis were killed and seven more were wounded in attacks.
A bomb exploded outside a home in Haswa and killed a civilian.
Two civilians were wounded in a bombing at a policeman’s home in Shirqat.
In Hit, an I.E.D. planted on a car seriously wounded a policeman.
A landmine wounded a shepherd in Mahaweel.
A hand grenade left no casualties in Abi Gharaq.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 598 Killed in Iraq; Hundreds Sickened by Sulfur Fumes – October 22nd, 2016
- 553 Killed and Executed in Iraq as Militants Attack Kirkuk – October 21st, 2016
- US Soldier Among 126 Killed in Iraq – October 20th, 2016
- 232 Killed in Iraq as Mosul Fighting Heats Up – October 19th, 2016
- 180 Killed in Iraq as Mosul Operations Continue – October 18th, 2016