Attack on Shi’ite Endowment Head and Other Targets Leaves 3 Killed, 26 Wounded in Iraq
Tuesday: 3 Killed, 26 Wounded
Tensions following a firefight in disputed Tuz Khormato continued to rise as the central government sent more troops into the region. Meanwhile, at least three people were killed and 26 more were wounded in fresh violence.
The Iraqi government reinforced army troops in the Tuz Khormato area, but ordered them to avoid further increasing agitation in the area. Kurdish Peshmerga forces also strengthened their numbers along this heavily Kurdish part of Iraq. The escalation began several days ago when two Arab men refused to pay a local vendor for gasoline, and the accusations led to a firefight at a politician’s home. Both the Kurdish and central governments claim this oil-rich and ethnically diverse region. In the past, U.S. troops were on hand to defuse tensions. This time, however, the U.S. government is only involved from a distance.
A sticky bomb wounded five civilians in Qayara.
A girl was shot and wounded in Hilla.
In Hamza, a bomb wounded a soldier.
An al-Qaeda suspect was killed in northern Wassit province, while attempting to escape.
An engineer was kidnapped in Rawa.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Suicide Bomber Targets Mosul Civilians; 91 Killed Across Iraq – December 3rd, 2016
- 192 Killed in Iraq; Explosion at ISIS Storage Facility Kills Dozens – December 1st, 2016
- 5,719 Killed in Iraq during November – November 30th, 2016
- Army Opens New Front near Hawija; 138 Killed in Iraq – November 29th, 2016
- ISIS Attacks Police in Samarra; 49 Killed in Iraq – November 28th, 2016