Attack on Shi’ite Endowment Head and Other Targets Leaves 3 Killed, 26 Wounded in Iraq
Tuesday: 3 Killed, 26 Wounded
Tensions following a firefight in disputed Tuz Khormato continued to rise as the central government sent more troops into the region. Meanwhile, at least three people were killed and 26 more were wounded in fresh violence.
The Iraqi government reinforced army troops in the Tuz Khormato area, but ordered them to avoid further increasing agitation in the area. Kurdish Peshmerga forces also strengthened their numbers along this heavily Kurdish part of Iraq. The escalation began several days ago when two Arab men refused to pay a local vendor for gasoline, and the accusations led to a firefight at a politician’s home. Both the Kurdish and central governments claim this oil-rich and ethnically diverse region. In the past, U.S. troops were on hand to defuse tensions. This time, however, the U.S. government is only involved from a distance.
A sticky bomb wounded five civilians in Qayara.
A girl was shot and wounded in Hilla.
In Hamza, a bomb wounded a soldier.
An al-Qaeda suspect was killed in northern Wassit province, while attempting to escape.
An engineer was kidnapped in Rawa.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Security Forces Cooperate and Free Bashir; 165 Killed in Iraq – May 2nd, 2016
- 4,609 Killed in Iraq During April – May 1st, 2016
- 80 Killed in Iraq; Bombers Strike in Baghdad – April 30th, 2016
- Suicide Attack on Forces in Anbar; 195 Killed in Iraq – April 29th, 2016
- Biden Visits Baghdad; 107 Killed in Iraq – April 28th, 2016