Iraq: 33 Killed in Attack on Army Base
Tuesday: 33 Killed, 60 Wounded
Although the base number of attacks remained low today, militants were able to stage a deadly assault against an army base in Taji. Overall, at least 33 people were killed, all at the army base, and another 60 were wounded.
At least 33 Iraqis were killed in a blast targeting army recruits in Taji. A car bomb exploded outside an army base during a lunchtime shift change, as a recruiting event was underway. Militants have favored security recruits who are particularly vulnerable as they wait on line for interviews. The timing of the blast took advantage of a shift change that brought soldiers outside as well. About 22 of the fatalities were soldiers. More than 56 people were also wounded. Taji, which is just north of the capital, has been the scene of several attacks in recent days.
In Baghdad, gunmen wounded two school guards in the Doura district.
Gunmen stormed a home in Haditha, where they wounded a police officer and his wife.
A bomb targeting the Samarra Operations chief left no casualties when it exploded near Tikrit.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Iraq Security Ops, Bombers Leave 94 Dead, 68 Hurt – April 23rd, 2014
- Uniformed Gunmen Attack Polling Center in Iraq; 29 Killed, 61 Wounded – April 22nd, 2014
- Bombers, Clashes Leave 105 Dead, 127 Hurt Across Iraq – April 21st, 2014
- 79 Killed, 112 Wounded As Iraq Militants Attack Religious College – April 20th, 2014
- Iraq Candidates Targeted; 69 Killed 73 Wounded – April 19th, 2014