Iraq: 33 Killed in Attack on Army Base
Tuesday: 33 Killed, 60 Wounded
Although the base number of attacks remained low today, militants were able to stage a deadly assault against an army base in Taji. Overall, at least 33 people were killed, all at the army base, and another 60 were wounded.
At least 33 Iraqis were killed in a blast targeting army recruits in Taji. A car bomb exploded outside an army base during a lunchtime shift change, as a recruiting event was underway. Militants have favored security recruits who are particularly vulnerable as they wait on line for interviews. The timing of the blast took advantage of a shift change that brought soldiers outside as well. About 22 of the fatalities were soldiers. More than 56 people were also wounded. Taji, which is just north of the capital, has been the scene of several attacks in recent days.
In Baghdad, gunmen wounded two school guards in the Doura district.
Gunmen stormed a home in Haditha, where they wounded a police officer and his wife.
A bomb targeting the Samarra Operations chief left no casualties when it exploded near Tikrit.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 220 Killed, 130 Wounded Across Iraq – August 29th, 2014
- ISIS Releases Beheading Video As 161 Are Killed Across Iraq – August 28th, 2014
- 168 Killed Across Iraq As U.S. and Militiamen Focus on Rescuing Turkmen in Amerli – August 27th, 2014
- Another Bombing in Baghdad; 80 Killed in Iraq – August 26th, 2014
- Bombers Return to Baghdad; 212 Killed, 184 Wounded – August 25th, 2014