Iraq: 33 Killed in Attack on Army Base
Tuesday: 33 Killed, 60 Wounded
Although the base number of attacks remained low today, militants were able to stage a deadly assault against an army base in Taji. Overall, at least 33 people were killed, all at the army base, and another 60 were wounded.
At least 33 Iraqis were killed in a blast targeting army recruits in Taji. A car bomb exploded outside an army base during a lunchtime shift change, as a recruiting event was underway. Militants have favored security recruits who are particularly vulnerable as they wait on line for interviews. The timing of the blast took advantage of a shift change that brought soldiers outside as well. About 22 of the fatalities were soldiers. More than 56 people were also wounded. Taji, which is just north of the capital, has been the scene of several attacks in recent days.
In Baghdad, gunmen wounded two school guards in the Doura district.
Gunmen stormed a home in Haditha, where they wounded a police officer and his wife.
A bomb targeting the Samarra Operations chief left no casualties when it exploded near Tikrit.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Child Among Execution Victims; 68 Killed in Iraq – July 28th, 2016
- Mass Grave Found in Fallujah; 125 Killed in Iraq – July 27th, 2016
- 74 Killed in Iraq, Including Family Fleeing ISIS – July 26th, 2016
- Bomber Strike East of Baghdad; 138 Killed in Iraq – July 25th, 2016
- 164 Killed in Iraq; Bombers Strike near Shi’ite Shrine – July 24th, 2016