Mosul Focus of Iraq Violence
Sunday: 5 Killed, 5 Wounded
A period of relative quiet continued in Iraq, but so did the meting out of death sentences to fugitive Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi. The timing of this respite and the Hashemi ruling could be related.
Fugitive Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi was handed a fourth death sentence in an Iraqi court accused of bias. It is the second time this week the court found Hashemi guilty. The vice president is in exile in Turkey and claims the accusations are politically motivated.
In Mosul, a bomb in the Badush district left two dead, including a civilian. Gunmen killed a policeman and wounded another in the Ghazaliya neighborhood. A policeman was killed in a roadside bombing. A bomb near a Sukker district hair salon wounded three civilians.
A sniper killed a soldier in Falluja.
In Hilla, a soldier was wounded in the head by a sniper’s bullet.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 52 Killed in Iraq Bombings and Executions – April 23rd, 2015
- No Let Up in Baghdad Blasts; 136 Killed in Iraq – April 22nd, 2015
- Coalition Strikes Kill Civilians in Mosul; 244 Killed across Iraq – April 21st, 2015
- 161 Killed across Iraq As Bombs Continue in Baghdad – April 20th, 2015
- Militants Execute Iraq Civilians; 208 Killed Overall – April 19th, 2015