Mosul Focus of Iraq Violence
Sunday: 5 Killed, 5 Wounded
A period of relative quiet continued in Iraq, but so did the meting out of death sentences to fugitive Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi. The timing of this respite and the Hashemi ruling could be related.
Fugitive Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi was handed a fourth death sentence in an Iraqi court accused of bias. It is the second time this week the court found Hashemi guilty. The vice president is in exile in Turkey and claims the accusations are politically motivated.
In Mosul, a bomb in the Badush district left two dead, including a civilian. Gunmen killed a policeman and wounded another in the Ghazaliya neighborhood. A policeman was killed in a roadside bombing. A bomb near a Sukker district hair salon wounded three civilians.
A sniper killed a soldier in Falluja.
In Hilla, a soldier was wounded in the head by a sniper’s bullet.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- ISIS Executes Girls in Mosul; 143 Killed in Iraq – May 5th, 2016
- Fighting South of Falluja; 162 Killed in Iraq – May 4th, 2016
- 252 Killed in Iraq, Including U.S. Soldier – May 3rd, 2016
- Security Forces Cooperate and Free Bashir; 165 Killed in Iraq – May 2nd, 2016
- 4,609 Killed in Iraq During April – May 1st, 2016