Mosul Focus of Iraq Violence
Sunday: 5 Killed, 5 Wounded
A period of relative quiet continued in Iraq, but so did the meting out of death sentences to fugitive Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi. The timing of this respite and the Hashemi ruling could be related.
Fugitive Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi was handed a fourth death sentence in an Iraqi court accused of bias. It is the second time this week the court found Hashemi guilty. The vice president is in exile in Turkey and claims the accusations are politically motivated.
In Mosul, a bomb in the Badush district left two dead, including a civilian. Gunmen killed a policeman and wounded another in the Ghazaliya neighborhood. A policeman was killed in a roadside bombing. A bomb near a Sukker district hair salon wounded three civilians.
A sniper killed a soldier in Falluja.
In Hilla, a soldier was wounded in the head by a sniper’s bullet.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Fleeing Civilians Shot; 116 Killed in Iraq – August 25th, 2016
- Qayara Reported Liberated; 111 Killed in Iraq – August 24th, 2016
- Fighting Continues in Khalidiya; 189 Killed in Iraq – August 23rd, 2016
- 46 Killed in Iraq, Including British Demining Contractor – August 22nd, 2016
- Baghdad, ISIS Carry out Executions; 238 Killed in Iraq – August 21st, 2016