Mosul Focus of Iraq Violence
Sunday: 5 Killed, 5 Wounded
A period of relative quiet continued in Iraq, but so did the meting out of death sentences to fugitive Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi. The timing of this respite and the Hashemi ruling could be related.
Fugitive Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi was handed a fourth death sentence in an Iraqi court accused of bias. It is the second time this week the court found Hashemi guilty. The vice president is in exile in Turkey and claims the accusations are politically motivated.
In Mosul, a bomb in the Badush district left two dead, including a civilian. Gunmen killed a policeman and wounded another in the Ghazaliya neighborhood. A policeman was killed in a roadside bombing. A bomb near a Sukker district hair salon wounded three civilians.
A sniper killed a soldier in Falluja.
In Hilla, a soldier was wounded in the head by a sniper’s bullet.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Iran’s Support For Maliki Dwindles As Over 200 Are Killed in Iraq – July 23rd, 2014
- 288 Slain As Maliki Urges Sunni Tribes To Fight For Iraq Government – July 22nd, 2014
- 257 Killed Across Iraq, Mostly In Security Ops – July 21st, 2014
- 131 Killed In Iraq As Deadline Passes for Christians To Leave Mosul – July 20th, 2014
- Bombers Return to Baghdad: 50 Killed, 92 Wounded – July 19th, 2014