At least 36 Iraqis were killed and 50 more were wounded in Thursday’s violence. As expected, the number of casualties connected to a jailbreak in Tikrit rose in the hours following the attack, but separate sources continued to give conflicting reports, even a day later.
A deadly jailbreak took place at Tasfeerat jail in Tikrit. Insurgents wearing police uniforms and driving vehicles resembling those that police use stormed the prison. According to some reports perhaps over 200 escaped, with 81 of them being al-Qaeda suspects. The jail housed pre-tail detainees.
The jailbreak apparently began with suicide bombing at an entrance and was followed by riots inside the jail. At least 33 escapees were re-captured immediately, but not before clashes took place on the streets of Tikrit.
In other violence:
Four civilians were killed and two more were wounded when a bomb exploded at a home near Falluja.
Gunmenwounded a Sahwa member in Jurf al-Sakhar.
A blast inside a blacksmith’s shop in Mahmoudiya killed the owner and wounded his son.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Turkish Airstrikes Leave Kurdish Fatalities; 14 Killed in Iraq – March 22nd, 2018
- India Abductees Found Dead Near Mosul; 72 Killed in Iraq – March 20th, 2018
- ISIS Attacks on Kirkuk Province Highways; Four Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2018
- Bodies Pollute River in Mosul; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 18th, 2018
- Seven U.S. Airmen Among 131 Killed in Iraq – March 16th, 2018