At least 36 Iraqis were killed and 50 more were wounded in Thursday’s violence. As expected, the number of casualties connected to a jailbreak in Tikrit rose in the hours following the attack, but separate sources continued to give conflicting reports, even a day later.
A deadly jailbreak took place at Tasfeerat jail in Tikrit. Insurgents wearing police uniforms and driving vehicles resembling those that police use stormed the prison. According to some reports perhaps over 200 escaped, with 81 of them being al-Qaeda suspects. The jail housed pre-tail detainees.
The jailbreak apparently began with suicide bombing at an entrance and was followed by riots inside the jail. At least 33 escapees were re-captured immediately, but not before clashes took place on the streets of Tikrit.
In other violence:
Four civilians were killed and two more were wounded when a bomb exploded at a home near Falluja.
Gunmenwounded a Sahwa member in Jurf al-Sakhar.
A blast inside a blacksmith’s shop in Mahmoudiya killed the owner and wounded his son.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- ISIS Commander Blamed for Iran Attack among 18 Killed in Iraq – October 16th, 2018
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018
- Mass Grave Gives up 78 Victims; 11 Recently Killed in Iraq – October 13th, 2018
- 30 Bodies in Mass Grave near Mosul; Two Killed in Iraq – October 11th, 2018