Chanting anti-U.S. and anti-Israel slogans, thousands of demonstrators returned to the streets in central Basra in ongoing film protests. The group marched for more than an hour today, while police and soldiers looked on. They also carried portraits of Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who is neighboring Iran’s supreme leader, giving credence to the belief that Iranian-backed groups were behind the march. A French publication’s satirical depiction of the prophet Muhammad was also excoriated. The demonstration follows others both in Basra and elsewhere in Iraq. On Wednesday, hundreds protested in Karbala.
Meanwhile, at least 13 Iraqis were killed and nine more were wounded in attacks.
At least one policeman was killed and as many as two more were wounded in a shooting in Ramadi.
A sticky bomb blast in Falluja left one dead and one wounded.
Gunmen killed a Turkmen doctor in Kirkuk.
The death of a detainee being interrogated at a Hilla prison is under investigation.
A bomb targeting an officer in Shirqat failed to cause any casualties.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Truck Bombing in Contested Town; 88 Killed in Iraq – November 21st, 2017
- Large Operation Against ISIS in Hawija; 30 Killed in Iraq – November 20th, 2017
- Mass Grave Found in Yazidi Town; 46 Killed in Iraq – November 19th, 2017
- Gunmen Attack Baghdad Checkpoint; 20 Killed in Iraq – November 18th, 2017
- Last Remaining ISIS Town in Iraq Captured; 17 Killed in Iraq – November 17th, 2017