A sectarian attack on teenagers took place near a Turkmen village in northern Iraq. This was the most horrifying attack on this relatively quiet day. Overall, at least 12 Iraqis were killed and six were wounded across the country.
Gunmen came across a group of teenagers cooling off in a canal near Amerli and killed seven of them before fleeing.The gunmen questioned the children before handcuffing and shooting them. Three more were wounded. The attack occurred in an area where many Turkmen reside.
The Turkmen are one of Iraq’s minority groups, but the gunmen appeared to be targeting only the Shi’ites among them. They reportedly spared the Sunni teenagers in the group.
A policeman and his mother were killed, and a child was wounded during a home invasion near Baquba.
A blast in Qayara killed a policeman and wounded a civilian.
In Mosul, gunmen killed a soldier at his checkpoint.
A civilian was stabbed to death in Azat.
A bomb in Saidiya wounded a soldier.
A 11-year-old boy was freed hours after his kidnapping in Nasariya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018
- Two Killed, 33 Injured in Continuing Protests in Southern Iraq – July 14th, 2018