A sectarian attack on teenagers took place near a Turkmen village in northern Iraq. This was the most horrifying attack on this relatively quiet day. Overall, at least 12 Iraqis were killed and six were wounded across the country.
Gunmen came across a group of teenagers cooling off in a canal near Amerli and killed seven of them before fleeing.The gunmen questioned the children before handcuffing and shooting them. Three more were wounded. The attack occurred in an area where many Turkmen reside.
The Turkmen are one of Iraq’s minority groups, but the gunmen appeared to be targeting only the Shi’ites among them. They reportedly spared the Sunni teenagers in the group.
A policeman and his mother were killed, and a child was wounded during a home invasion near Baquba.
A blast in Qayara killed a policeman and wounded a civilian.
In Mosul, gunmen killed a soldier at his checkpoint.
A civilian was stabbed to death in Azat.
A bomb in Saidiya wounded a soldier.
A 11-year-old boy was freed hours after his kidnapping in Nasariya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- ISIS Attacks Troops, Mass Grave Found; 68 Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2017
- UN Probes Right Abuses in Restive Tuz Khormato; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 12th, 2017
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017
- Victory Parade in Green Zone; Seven Injured Across Iraq – December 10th, 2017
- Scattered Attacks Leave 51 Killed Across Iraq – December 9th, 2017