Iraqi Lawmaker Survives Assassination Attempt; 5 Killed in Other Attacks
Although violence tapered off substantially in the last day, at least five people were killed and eight more were wounded in new attacks. One attack targeted an Iraqiya lawmaker whose brother is a deputy prime minister.
A bomb targeting Iraqiya M.P. Hamed Al Mutlaq, who is brother to Deputy Prime Minister Saleh al-Mutlaq, wounded two of his bodyguards as their convoy traveled through Abu Ghraib. Separately, an I.E.D. killed two soldiers and wounded three more at a checkpoint.
Gunmen attacked a checkpoint in Hammam al-Alil where they killed two policemen and wounded two more.
A clash in Baaj left one soldier killed and one wounded.
The director of the Tikrit power station was not injured during a sticky bomb blast.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Arrests in Anti-ISIS Protest; 102 Killed across Iraq – August 29th, 2015
- Protests Resume in Baghdad; 88 Killed across Iraq – August 28th, 2015
- Two Generals among 75 Killed across Iraq – August 27th, 2015
- 205 Killed in Iraq; Kurdish Forces Launch Major Operation – August 26th, 2015
- At least 99 Killed across Iraq, including Kurdish Guerrillas – August 25th, 2015