Iraqi Lawmaker Survives Assassination Attempt; 5 Killed in Other Attacks
Although violence tapered off substantially in the last day, at least five people were killed and eight more were wounded in new attacks. One attack targeted an Iraqiya lawmaker whose brother is a deputy prime minister.
A bomb targeting Iraqiya M.P. Hamed Al Mutlaq, who is brother to Deputy Prime Minister Saleh al-Mutlaq, wounded two of his bodyguards as their convoy traveled through Abu Ghraib. Separately, an I.E.D. killed two soldiers and wounded three more at a checkpoint.
Gunmen attacked a checkpoint in Hammam al-Alil where they killed two policemen and wounded two more.
A clash in Baaj left one soldier killed and one wounded.
The director of the Tikrit power station was not injured during a sticky bomb blast.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- String of Bombings in Baghdad; 47 Killed across Iraq – February 27th, 2015
- Coalition Airstrikes Kill Civilians; 224 Killed Across Iraq – February 26th, 2015
- Iraq: 187 Killed, 100 Kidnapped – February 25th, 2015
- Series of Bombs Torment Baghdad; 197 Killed across Iraq – February 24th, 2015
- New Zealand Prepares Troop Deployment; 68 Killed in Iraq – February 23rd, 2015