Iraqi Lawmaker Survives Assassination Attempt; 5 Killed in Other Attacks
Although violence tapered off substantially in the last day, at least five people were killed and eight more were wounded in new attacks. One attack targeted an Iraqiya lawmaker whose brother is a deputy prime minister.
A bomb targeting Iraqiya M.P. Hamed Al Mutlaq, who is brother to Deputy Prime Minister Saleh al-Mutlaq, wounded two of his bodyguards as their convoy traveled through Abu Ghraib. Separately, an I.E.D. killed two soldiers and wounded three more at a checkpoint.
Gunmen attacked a checkpoint in Hammam al-Alil where they killed two policemen and wounded two more.
A clash in Baaj left one soldier killed and one wounded.
The director of the Tikrit power station was not injured during a sticky bomb blast.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Bombers Strike in Baghdad; 479 Killed Across Iraq – April 17th, 2015
- 313 Killed in Iraq as Fighting Increases on Two Fronts – April 16th, 2015
- ISIS Takes Villages in Anbar, as 290 Are Killed Across Iraq – April 15th, 2015
- 160 Killed in Iraq as Premier Visits White House – April 14th, 2015
- Militants Back in Baiji Refinery; 139 Killed across Iraq – April 13th, 2015