Official figures from the Iraqi government showed a significant surge in casualties. The government found that 325 Iraqis were killed in July, while another 697 were wounded. These statistics include civilians and security personnel.
About 545 deaths were counted for July in Antiwar.com’s daily figures. That number — which includes civilians, security forces and a handful of insurgents — is only one death higher than Antiwar.com’s June figures. The Iraqi government claimed only 131 deaths in June, even though many news outlets had noted a significant surge in June.
Meanwhile, at least eight Iraqis were killed and five more were wounded in new violence.
Gunmen killed a policeman and wounded four others when they shot up a Falluja checkpoint.
A man believed to be a high-ranking al-Qaeda figure was killed during a military operation in Motaybijiya.
A bomb left no casualties at the entrance of an army base in al-Baghdadi.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Heavy Fighting and Counterattacks in Mosul; 61 Killed in Iraq – June 26th, 2017
- Hawija Displaced Found Dead; 200 Killed in Iraq – June 25th, 2017
- Civilians Flee Mosul War Zone; 59 Killed in Iraq – June 24th, 2017
- Many Casualties in Mosul Attacks; 151 Killed in Iraq – June 23rd, 2017
- Teenagers Blown-up by Old Landmine; 46 Killed in Iraq – June 22nd, 2017