Iraq Attacks Leave 34 Killed, 78 Wounded As Bombs Focus on Baghdad
Tuesday: 34 Iraqis Killed, 78 Wounded
Updated at 11:15 p.m. EDT, July 31, 2012
Today’s attacks focused on central Baghdad where coordinated bombings killed or wounded about 80 people near the Green Zone. To the north, gunmen targeted another journalist. Overall, at least 34 people were killed and 78 more were wounded.
In Baghdad, a pair of near simultaneous bombings killed 20 people in the affluent Karrada district at rush hour. The blasts, which took place near a police station and an Interior Ministry office, wounded 57 people. One blast may have been targeting a passport office. Separately, police thwarted another attack that left two gunmen and a lieutenant colonel dead; two guards were wounded.
Three security personnel were killed and nine more were wounded in an I.E.D. explosion in Mussayab.
In Mosul, gunmen stormed a home where they killed a local television journalist and wounded his wife and mother during the Iftar meal. An infant boy was also wounded.
Gunmen at an Amiriyat al-Falluja checkpoint killed two policemen in a car.
A sticky bomb killed a policeman in Abu Ghraib.
The bodies of a man and a woman were found in Arbil. Police did not reveal any motives.
Two policemen were wounded in Kirkuk when they came across a roadside bomb.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Another Town Falls to ISIS; 114 Killed Across Iraq – October 23rd, 2014
- Battles Rage Not Far from Baghdad; 282 Killed, 116 Wounded Across Iraq – October 22nd, 2014
- 58 Killed, 45 Wounded Across Iraq; Militiamen Boldly Operate Under Own Terms – October 21st, 2014
- Bombs and Battles Kill 243, Wound 139 Across Iraq – October 20th, 2014
- 146 Are Killed in Battles and Bombings Across Iraq – October 19th, 2014