The Iraqi Communist Party celebrated the 54th anniversary of the July 14, 1958 declaration of the republic with a march in Baghdad. Although the march also called for improved services, the demonstrators were not met with any violence. However, attacks continued elsewhere, leaving 14 dead and 11 more wounded.
Gunmen killed five security personnel and wounded two more in an attack on a checkpoint in the Turkmen town of Rashidiya. Soldiers and police were among the victims.
Four people were killed, including two civilians, when gunmen attacked a checkpoint in Hammam al-Alil.
A bomb at a congregation hall construction site in Jbela left two dead and five wounded.
As sticky bomb on a car in Riyadh killed one oil protection police officer when it exploded.
A government official was killed during a home invasion in Duquq.
A soldier wounded a civilian in a personal dispute in Zubayr.
In Mussayab, a sticky bomb wounded a lieutenant.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Third Bombing Against Sadr Bloc Offices; 40 Killed, 19 Bodies Found in Iraq – May 25th, 2018
- Scattered Attacks Continue in Kirkuk, Diyala; 27 Killed in Iraq – May 24th, 2018
- Suicide Bomber Strikes Baghdad; 16 Killed in Iraq – May 23rd, 2018
- 1,000 Bodies Recovered in Mosul; Two Turks Among 15 Killed in Iraq – May 22nd, 2018
- French Training Iraqi Forces near Syrian Border; Five Killed in Iraq – May 21st, 2018