The Iraqi Communist Party celebrated the 54th anniversary of the July 14, 1958 declaration of the republic with a march in Baghdad. Although the march also called for improved services, the demonstrators were not met with any violence. However, attacks continued elsewhere, leaving 14 dead and 11 more wounded.
Gunmen killed five security personnel and wounded two more in an attack on a checkpoint in the Turkmen town of Rashidiya. Soldiers and police were among the victims.
Four people were killed, including two civilians, when gunmen attacked a checkpoint in Hammam al-Alil.
A bomb at a congregation hall construction site in Jbela left two dead and five wounded.
As sticky bomb on a car in Riyadh killed one oil protection police officer when it exploded.
A government official was killed during a home invasion in Duquq.
A soldier wounded a civilian in a personal dispute in Zubayr.
In Mussayab, a sticky bomb wounded a lieutenant.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Anti-ISIS Operations near Hawija; 15 Killed in Iraq – January 22nd, 2018
- Clashes South of Mosul; 10 Killed in Iraq – January 21st, 2018
- Old ISIS Explosives Wound Children; 17 Killed in Iraq – January 19th, 2018
- Mass Grave Filled with Policemen; 30 Killed in Iraq – January 18th, 2018
- Attacks Shift to Diyala Province; 11 Killed in Iraq – January 17th, 2018