Today’s worst attack took place at a funeral where mourners had gathered to pay respect to a Shi’ite sheikh. Elsewhere, Sunnis were among the targets. Overall, at least 36 Iraqis were killed and 82 more were wounded. In recent days, Shi’ite pilgrims were marked for attacks, making the last week one of the deadliest in recent months.
A suicide bomber penetrated a funeral tent in Baquba where he killed at least 22 people and wounded 50 more. The funeral was for a tribal chief. Although the neighborhood is mixed, many of the mourners where Shi’ite.
A roadside bomb killed a security guard and wounded three others in Kirkuk.
An attack on a checkpoint in Umm al-Nuoa left one policeman dead and another wounded.
Gunmen killed a captain and wounded a relative in Shuwairan.
A police informer was murdered in Mussayab.
Gunmen killed the head of a Sunni Endowment office in Baaj.
In Baghdad, a roadside bomb in the Saidiya district wounded three bodyguards working for a Shi’ite Endowment official.
Gunmen wounded a child and two policemen in Hit.
A motorcycle bomb in Falluja wounded an anti-terrorism officer and a companion.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Kurds Celebrate Referendum; 27 Killed in Iraq – September 25th, 2017
- Iraq Executes Dozens of Convicts; 116 Killed in Iraq – September 24th, 2017
- Shirqat Nearly Liberated; 297 Killed in Iraq – September 23rd, 2017
- Turkey Desperate to Stop Kurdish Vote; 41 Killed in Iraq – September 22nd, 2017
- Operations Launched in Hawija and Shirqat; 70 Killed in Iraq – September 21st, 2017