Today’s worst attack took place at a funeral where mourners had gathered to pay respect to a Shi’ite sheikh. Elsewhere, Sunnis were among the targets. Overall, at least 36 Iraqis were killed and 82 more were wounded. In recent days, Shi’ite pilgrims were marked for attacks, making the last week one of the deadliest in recent months.
A suicide bomber penetrated a funeral tent in Baquba where he killed at least 22 people and wounded 50 more. The funeral was for a tribal chief. Although the neighborhood is mixed, many of the mourners where Shi’ite.
A roadside bomb killed a security guard and wounded three others in Kirkuk.
An attack on a checkpoint in Umm al-Nuoa left one policeman dead and another wounded.
Gunmen killed a captain and wounded a relative in Shuwairan.
A police informer was murdered in Mussayab.
Gunmen killed the head of a Sunni Endowment office in Baaj.
In Baghdad, a roadside bomb in the Saidiya district wounded three bodyguards working for a Shi’ite Endowment official.
Gunmen wounded a child and two policemen in Hit.
A motorcycle bomb in Falluja wounded an anti-terrorism officer and a companion.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Hawija Displaced Found Dead; 200 Killed in Iraq – June 25th, 2017
- Civilians Flee Mosul War Zone; 59 Killed in Iraq – June 24th, 2017
- Many Casualties in Mosul Attacks; 151 Killed in Iraq – June 23rd, 2017
- Teenagers Blown-up by Old Landmine; 46 Killed in Iraq – June 22nd, 2017
- Great Mosque Destroyed in Mosul; 91 Killed in Iraq – June 21st, 2017