At least 11 Iraqis were killed and 38 more were wounded in attacks today, as opposition leaders met to discuss plans to oust Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki.
Following President Jalal Talabani’s rejection of the no-confidence petition, supporters of the motion met in Arbil to reevaluate plans to remove Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki from office. The opposition group insisted that the signatures were authentic and that they had more than enough to carry out the vote.
Shi’ite Cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, one of the original supporters, was not present, but others in attendance included Kurdish leaders Massoud Barzani and Barham Saleh; Iraqiya’s Ayad Allawi, Speaker Osama al-Nujaifi, Saleh al-Mutlaq and Salman al-Jumaili; and Dhiya al-Asadi, Salah al-Ubaidi and Ameer al-Kinani from the Sadrist Trend.
Yesterday, a statement from President Talabani’s office explained that the petition fell short of the number required to hold a no-confidence vote as several lawmakers withdrew their support. M.P. Hamid al-Mutlaq criticized the president of mishandling and delay in regards to the petition.Maliki himself praised Talabani and called on opposition leaders to resume conciliatory discussions.
Few attacks were reported today; however, mortar fire in Baghdad left dozens killed or wounded. Overall, at least 11 Iraqis were killed and 38 more were wounded.
Turkey shelled parts of Deraluk, but no casualties were reported.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018
- Mass Grave Gives up 78 Victims; 11 Recently Killed in Iraq – October 13th, 2018
- 30 Bodies in Mass Grave near Mosul; Two Killed in Iraq – October 11th, 2018
- ISIS Attack on Oil Field; 15 Killed in Iraq – October 10th, 2018