Attack on Police Leaves Dozens Killed in Western Iraq
Monday: 37 Iraqis Killed, 15 Wounded
Uniformed gunmen staged a bold attack on police that left over two dozen personnel dead in Haditha. Overall, at least 37 Iraqis were killed and 15 more were wounded in this and other violence.
A gang dressed in Interior Ministry uniforms and driving ministry vehicles staged a multi-location attack on police in Haditha. At least 28 policemen and three attackers were killed. Five more policemen were wounded, as well as one gunman. Police also killed a suicide bomber who may have been operating separately. The chief of police is among the dead.
At least 13 vehicles took part in the raid, which began at about 2:00 a.m. and lasted a half hour. The assailants used falsified arrest documents to gain the trust of police. Many of the victims were killed at checkpoints throughout the city. An Interior Ministry captain and colonel, however, were picked up at their homes and found dead nearby. Also, an Islamic State of Iraq flag was found in the aftermath, suggesting the assailants were in disguise. The city is under curfew.
A judge was seriously injured near Kirkuk when a sticky bomb attached to his car exploded.
The body of a missing man was found dumped in Khanaqin.
In Iskandariya, clashes left three gunmen wounded.
A bomb in Tuz Khormato wounded two Sahwa members.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Bombers Attack Another Funeral; 39 Killed, 46 Wounded Across Iraq – December 10th, 2013
- 43 Killed, 60 Wounded in Ongoing Iraq Attacks – December 9th, 2013
- Baghdad Takes the Brunt of Attacks That Leave 61 Dead, 214 Wounded – December 8th, 2013
- Shooting Spree Targets Baghdad Liquor Stores; 21 Killed, 36 Wounded Across Iraq – December 7th, 2013
- Journalist Assassinated in Kurdistan; 15 Killed, 33 Wounded Across Iraq – December 6th, 2013